Points to Line Script Problem

Jump to solution
06-09-2013 04:49 PM
AK_-_SamHooper__GISS_
New Contributor
Perhaps there's something really obvious that I'm not seeing, but I can't seem to run the Points to Line script properly on any of the point features that I need to.  When I try to drag and drop the shapefile inputs I want from either the Catalog or the Table of Contents, I get a message that says "One or more dropped items were invalid and will not be added to the control."

I looked at the tool's documentation which says that the input needs to be a feature layer so I tried the "Make Feature Layer" tool (Data Mgmt) first, but no luck.  What really boggles my mind is that there are 4 seemingly random point layers from my Table of Contents that appear in the dropdown menu as acceptable inputs and the tool runs successfully with these inputs.  The inputs that work are a combination of exported outputs from GPS Pathfinder and results from geoprocessing operations.  All of data including the ones that don't work are shapefile feature classes.

I'm running ArcGIS 10.1 without a SP.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
-Sam
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AK_-_SamHooper__GISS_
New Contributor
Nevermind.  Just figured it out.  The geometry type was the difference.  The point features that won't work have a multipoint geometry type and the ones that work have just point geometry.  I used the Multipart to Singlepart tool and that solved the problem.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AK_-_SamHooper__GISS_
New Contributor
Nevermind.  Just figured it out.  The geometry type was the difference.  The point features that won't work have a multipoint geometry type and the ones that work have just point geometry.  I used the Multipart to Singlepart tool and that solved the problem.
0 Kudos