novice help needed: how to add field from another table?

Jump to solution
07-26-2013 10:27 AM
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III
thanks in advance for reading guys; long time mapinfo user now trying to get to grips with arcgis 9.3....

I have pointfile1 and bufferfile2.  several points from pointfile1 fall within several polygons in bufferfile2, lots of overlapping.  what I'm trying to do is have a new column (or columns if need be) in the bufferfile2 that has a list of all the pointfile1 IDs that fall within it, that's it.

I'm not sure how to start; in mapinfo I would use mapbasic, and in arcgis9.3 I can see that the field calc is limited to the current table or maybe not what I'm after here anyway.  I'm aware that python is the scripter of choice for ESRI but know very little of it, but am willing to give it a go....any step by step guidance here would be very gratefully received, thanks all.

thanks,

chrisj
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
1. to intersect both layers: using intersect tool from Spatial Analysis tool group.
2. In the intersected output layer, open attribute table, go to that ID field from polygon layer, click field name to select "Summarizing" (you can select the point ID field as statistics field to get First ID and Last ID), then the output table will have the total point number (within polygon) and two point ID for each polygon (you couldn't get all point IDs for each polygon due to ArcGis limited function).
3.using common field (polygon ID) to join the statistics table fields back to original polygon layer.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
1. to intersect both layers: using intersect tool from Spatial Analysis tool group.
2. In the intersected output layer, open attribute table, go to that ID field from polygon layer, click field name to select "Summarizing" (you can select the point ID field as statistics field to get First ID and Last ID), then the output table will have the total point number (within polygon) and two point ID for each polygon (you couldn't get all point IDs for each polygon due to ArcGis limited function).
3.using common field (polygon ID) to join the statistics table fields back to original polygon layer.
0 Kudos
ChrisJ
by
New Contributor III
TKONG that was exactly what I was after and it worked perfectly, thanks very much!!
0 Kudos