New Trace Geometric Networktool very slow

11-28-2012 01:15 PM
JakeJacobs
Occasional Contributor III
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this:
I'm using the new Trace Geometric Network geoprocessing tool in Model Builder.  It can take upwards of 2 hours to execute a trace that takes just a couple minutes when I use the Utility Network Analyst toolbar and set the flags manually.  And that's when I'm returning a selected set, even.

Anyone else notice this difference or have any theories on why the difference is so great?  Or how to make it quicker?

Thanks
Jake
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Jake,

Can you provide specifics on the trace you're performing?  Also, what type of geodatabase is it?  How have you published it to Server?

Also, have you logged an incident with Support on this issue?

thanks,
0 Kudos
JakeJacobs
I've tried both SDE and a personal geodatabase.  I'm running traces on our gas network, so I'm running flow traces looking for connected features for the most part.  I'm not publishing it to server, I'm running it through ArcMap desktop. 

I haven't logged an issue with Support.  I thought I'd just see if anyone else was experiencing anything first.

I have a further problem now as well, which is that in one model I'm running, I keep getting an "Arcmap has encountered a serious error and needs to close" almost (but not every) time I hit the Trace geometric network tool in my model.  I've got an iterator set up to loop through, set one flag at a time and then write some results out to a personal geodatabase. 

Let me know what to pass on and I'll be happy to provide any additional info.  The dmp file, for example, or a copy of my model, or whatever.

Thanks,
Jake
0 Kudos
CraigGillgrass
Esri Regular Contributor
Jake,

If you can reproduce this on personal and SDE; it's probably easiest to supply a personal geodatabase, along with your model.  Contact Technical Support and mention that you can reproduce these issues on both types.  Once you have the incident number, please post it here, I'll follow the issue.

thanks,
0 Kudos
MarietteShin
New Contributor III

Was there ever any resolution to this thread? I'm having similar problems in ArcGIS 10.2 trying to run a pretty simple Trace Geometric Network using type "Find Connected" in Model Builder. It's VERY slow and some times just crashes.

Is there any help documentation on setting up a trace geometric network using Model Builder?

Thanks,

Mariette

0 Kudos
BenjaminMittler

You may have looked at this already but the ESRI help page on "Trace Geometric Network" specifically mentions some tips for using it in modelbuilder.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
MarietteShin
New Contributor III

Thanks Benjamin,

but the documentation doesn't help me. As far as I can tell, I've followed the help instructions for using Trace Geometric Network in Model Builder, but the process takes a long time, it crashes or the output is empty.

Thanks,

Mariette

0 Kudos