netCDF to feature/raster problems

12-21-2012 08:24 AM
JulieEkstrom
New Contributor II
I need to view data that is in a netcdf file (from GLODAP) that contains points of pH for the oceans globally. When I use the make netCDF to Feature layer tool, I get a message saying "Background processing has encountered a serious error and is unable to continue." This happens everytime.

When I try to import with NetCDF to Raster layert tool, a layer comes up as a map, but there is a no spatial reference associated with it. And when i go into define the spatial reference in Data Management tools, it doesn't actually get changed when I view the properties of the layer back in ArcMap.

My OTHER problem with this is that I need to share the layer onto an ArcGIS server, but I need that raster layer with a defined spatial reference.

Has anyone had similar issues and resolved them?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DaleHoneycutt
Occasional Contributor III
There might be a problem with the netCDF to Layer tool running in background.  Have you tried running in foreground?  See the topic Foreground and Background Processing for more info on how to change to foreground.
0 Kudos
JulieEkstrom
New Contributor II
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, but still get the same crash. Any other ideas? Could it be my file (I have four and they aren't very complicated -- each has one dimension -- pH, temp, salinity, etc. -- to map).

Any ideas about setting the spatial reference?

Thanks,
julie
0 Kudos
SeanHandley
New Contributor
I was having a similar problem. I used the Make NetCDF Raster Layer tool to create a couple of rasters (SST data), and it imports and projects fine, but no spatial reference. I tried using the "Define Projection" tool in ArcToooolbox within ArcMap and from within Catledog, all works fine, big green flashing tick, but still no spatial reference!? But get this, if you right click the raster in Catalog and then edit the Spatial reference, and choose appropriate projection, it works... go figure... another Arc-mystery.
0 Kudos
JulieEkstrom
New Contributor II
oh man! thanks for that tip - it worked! unfortunately, now the oceanographer sent me all new datasets as TEXT files because I was having this problem with the netcdf format. The text files aren't proving that simple to import (lots of processing steps).

since you work with oceanographic data, do you know of any forums that are just for tips about working with oceanographic data?

thanks again for the netcdf help! much appreciated.
0 Kudos