near distance always -1

Jump to solution
11-15-2012 01:16 AM
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
hey,

when I use NEAR with the black point Input feature to the black striped traget feature I always get Near_DIST -1.

If i uses another target feature it works.
If i use more target features for NEAR I get the distance value to the other features but not of the black striped one - which is incorrect.
I even made a new feature class and drawed the black striped polygon via trace manually again. Using this new feature class I also get -1?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19318[/ATTACH]

gz
andreas
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
try running it on a local machine with files in a folder in a new project

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Do you have a selection?
Are all the files in the same coordinate system? (preferably a projected one)
See the discussion in the help files
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00080000001q000000
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
Do you have a selection?
Are all the files in the same coordinate system? (preferably a projected one)
See the discussion in the help files
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#//00080000001q000000

I took care not to have a selection and all features have the same coordinate system.

I ve to mention, that a view days ago the NEAR calculation worked with this feature. Just a view points had -1 which I also couldnt figure out why in fact, they dont intercept each other.
On further runs now I also got -1 using the points on other features?
The run now also takes plenty of time. Before it worked very fast?

Ist there some kind of cache? Any validating possibility to figure out an error?

king regards
andreas
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
Even if I try NEAR with another feature to the  black striped traget feature -1 is my result or a more distance feature is choosen when using a combination with other target features?
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
I recognized, that after this NEAR run, when starting an editing session I always get this warning including also the Input Feature for the NEAR run "Bruchfl_S":

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19387[/ATTACH]
Text on doublekl:
"This layer or table is read-only, or you lack the proper permissions to edit it.

Solution: Check the file properties in Windows Explorer to make sure you have write access to the geodatabase, files that compose the shapefile, or the folder that contains the data you want to edit. This can commonly happen if you have copied data from a DVD or CD-ROM.

If you are using data from an ArcSDE geodatabase, ensure that the data is registered as versioned and you have write access to the version."
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

hm, I'm running my data just on my local machine and also tried before to copy the project folder to another location running the NEAR process out of this.

The problem with the permission just appears after running NEAR or now also occurs after I copied some selected rows of the attribute table in a new feature class to append afterwards to another. Than I have to save and restart ArcInfo to get editing permission again.
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor

hey,

now it worked after copying the project folder to the other hdd partition.
but after copying it back again to the orignal directory the -1 error again appears. I use relativ paths in my geodatabase. Is there some kind of cache which could influence this?

regards
andreas
0 Kudos
AndreasDaim
Occasional Contributor
started the same project after 2 yrs again - and again the same problem as described above.

Dan_Patterson: why did you mention copying the file? What's the idea behind this workaround?
This helped, but after some process runs, the problem is the same.

Also: If I'm using NEAR with two near features - x and y - just the distance to "x" is calculated and "y" is completely ignored?

best regards
0 Kudos