Multipart To Singlepart tool fails

2982
6
07-14-2011 11:15 AM
RobW
by
New Contributor III
Hi, I am running ArcGIS 10.

The feature class I am using is fairly small and the geometry is repaired. 

In ArcGIS 9.3.1, I can run a Multipart To Singlepart on this feature class with no issues. 

However in ArcGIS 10, for the same feature class, the Multipart To Singlepart tool fails and the whole application (ArcCatalog or ArcMap) just crashes.   I have also upgraded to SP1, but to no avail.

Has anyone else run into this problem and found a solution.

Thanks for any insight you can offer.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobW
by
New Contributor III
The topology for this feature class has also been checked and is OK.

Oddly enough, when I export the feature class to a shapefile and do the multipart to singlepart, it works.

However, I still need/would like for it to work in a file gdb format.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you send the data to me: dlee@esri.com? I would like to see if it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Thansk,
0 Kudos
RobW
by
New Contributor III
After sending sample data to ESRI, a bug was identified and will likely be fixed in the next release of ArcGIS (10.1).
0 Kudos
DeonaEvans
New Contributor
Do you know if this supposedly got fixed in 10.1.  I'm having a problem with it on files that did work in 10.0.
0 Kudos
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks for this post.  It seems Esri still hasn't fixed this bug.  Using ArcMap 10.2.1, with a file geodatbase, I got repeated crashes using the Mulitpart to SinglePart geoprocessing tool as well as trying to explode multipart features.
However, converting to a shapefile, both the geoprocessing tool and exploding features in an edit session work just fine.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi guys,

The bug (NIM079950) we found with Rob's data was fixed in Aug. 2011 and went in 10.0 SP5. The problem was very data specific. I have just retested the case using our current development version, it worked fine.

For those who have seen issues in 10.1 or 10.2.1, please email me (dlee@esri.com) your test data, as fewer features as possible that still can reproduce the issue. It is likely a different problem.

Thanks!
0 Kudos