Maintaining Global IDs in ArcMap 10.5

05-14-2019 08:56 AM
TiaFlippin1
New Contributor II

Where can the settings be found to make sure Global IDs are maintained through processing (specifically Append) in ArcMap 10.5?

Tags (2)
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Preserve global ids is an environment parameter, so you set it through the tools Environment settings

Preserve Global IDs (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | ArcGIS Desktop 

This is for ArcGIS pro, but a similar setting in arcmap

see way at the bottom

Append—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Preserve Global IDs (Environment setting)—Geoprocessing | ArcGIS Desktop 

TiaFlippin1
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan. I am aware of the page you posted and I have combed the environments settings both under the Geoprocessing menu and can't find the place to check mark to maintain the Global IDs. I have found maintain attachments, but that is the closest I found. Am I just looking in the wrong place for the box?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tia,

I don't use ArcMap any more, but it is via the environments setting on the actual if memory serves.

In pro, they move the environment settings to the top of the tool rather than at the bottom, so it is easier to find and more likely to be used.

TiaFlippin1
New Contributor II

Good to know, might have to see if I can run this in Pro. Thank you

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Then there is the fine-print in the arcmap 5 link I sent, so you may be out of luck period

For the Append tool, this environment only applies to enterprise geodatabase data and will only work on data that has a Global ID field with a unique index

StefanThorn2
New Contributor

Unfortunately and wondering why those options are not available anymore but for the Append tool in Pro it is not possible to use the environment settings output coordinates. Even when you set them the tool is is not one of the tools that can use these setting.

forcing into a unnecessary workaround proces!!!

0 Kudos