Is it possible to merge point data layers, keeping the same names as the parent layer?...

09-14-2017 12:04 PM
JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hell again

I have another question regarding merging point data, yet also merging the fields in the attribute table.

I have a standard excel table with set field names, which I want to preserve. So I have exported this shapefile to a featuregeodatabase folder, and now I would like to merge several other point layers to this parent layer. 

I am assuming the merge tool is the best option?? I have tried merge one of the shapefile to this parent one, and the merged results in the attribute table show all the merged data to the right of the parent layer, and the field names have reverted back to the default naming system. 

So my question is...

1) Is there away to have the data merged so that final layer has all the data combined under the correct field. So for example the Latitude field in the merging layer in filled in to the Latitude field in the parent layer?

2) Is it possible to have the Field names remain when merging. I have looked this up and there seems to be a lot on using SQL, coding etc...but frankly I have no clue about this langue. I don't really want to manually do this in excel and there is a lot of layers that I need to merge and having the ability to merge the way I would like would be great. 

I have attached the excel tables to show you what I am hoping to accomplish. I have this excel now as a shapefile and a geodatabase. Please ignore the spaces in this table as I have corrected this. I just want to show you what I want the end attribute table to look like, after merging all the various point data shapefiles. 

Excel file type to merge...now in a shapefile and geodatabase 

I have read that to merge and keep field names, it is best to export the shapefiles into a geodatabase and then do the merge. However, when I do this it still seem to append the emerging layer to the right of the attribute. Is there no way around this ???

I apologize if this sound silly and if it has be discussed before. If so please point me in the right direction. 

Thanks 

Jess

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
MichelleMathias
Esri Community Manager

HI Jessica, 

Thanks for asking your questions and welcome to the GeoNet community! I wanted to let you know that we're moving your question to the Geoprocessing  space and also share it into the https://community.esri.com/community/gis group so our Esri and user subject matter experts can further help answer this and future questions.  So you're aware on how and where to post your questions, here's a few quick tips and reminders:

• First, use the GeoNet search (top right corner by your profile icon) to search and see if your question has already by asked/answered previously.

Thanks again for contributing and I hope this helps and let us know if you have any questions.

Michelle Mathias
Manager, Community Experience & Programs
JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hi Michelle 

Thanks for clarify. I always find it slightly confusing on where to ask the questions. So thanks for pointing out some of the key tips.

Cheers

Jess

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Probably what is going on is that the field characteristics of the same named fields are not exactly the same in each table (even though they have the same names).  For example, if in one table a named field is text type and in a second table the same named field is integer.  The Merge process will treat these as different fields, even though they have the same name.

I would investigate the field properties of each layer to see if this is what is tripping up the Merge.

Also, another option besides Merge is to use Append (Data Management).  Start with one dataset and Append the others to it.  Be sure to use the Test option under "Schema type (optional)" when running the tool.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) 

Chris Donohue, GISP

JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hi Chris 

Thanks I will try your suggestions thanks.

Cheers

Jess

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

As Chris points out... append or merge... the latter if you need to create a new file (you should so as not to mess with an original).

The key is in the Field Map Control options, which allows you to maintain field names, if they are of the same data type.  Just watch the order of merging AND check the data types etc in spreadsheets if you are forced to use those for data input

JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hi Dan

Thanks I will try both yours and Chris's suggestions and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Jess

0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hi Dan

So I am working away, painfully editing all the field names and assigning merge rules. However, I want to change the delimiter parameters for the output file, from the current 'underscore' to just a 'space'...but the delimiter dialogue box seems to be greyed out and I cant not change this. I looked in environment settings and there doesn't seem to be anything. Any ideas of where I could change this rule. 

thanks 

Jess

0 Kudos
JessicaRutherford2
New Contributor III

Hello again ...

I meant to include this screen shot of what was referring to in the previous discussion regarding changing the delimiter.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No underscores, slashes or other flotsam... I wouldn't even use them in an alias.. that is what an accompanying documentation .pdf is for... how about... LT_fce for the field name