I want to join 2 buffers but using the Append tool but it doesn't work

12-03-2011 04:42 PM
ChrisHolcomb
New Contributor
I have created two 2km radius buffers around 2 features on a map using the Buffer tool.  The 2 buffers overlap.  I want to combine these 2 buffers into one buffer and then do a clip so I can study land covers within this new buffer.  After looking at the functions Merge, Union and Append, I believe that Append is what I want to use.

the tool help barely says anything. The problem that I am having is that i don't know how to create a 'target dataset' which I assume is the output that I am trying to end up with. It seems like this is something that I have to create in ArcCatalogue prior to doing it , right?  - the help says that it is pre-existing.

Thanks for any help.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have created two 2km radius buffers around 2 features on a map using the Buffer tool.  The 2 buffers overlap.  I want to combine these 2 buffers into one buffer and then do a clip so I can study land covers within this new buffer.  After looking at the functions Merge, Union and Append, I believe that Append is what I want to use.

the tool help barely says anything. The problem that I am having is that i don't know how to create a 'target dataset' which I assume is the output that I am trying to end up with. It seems like this is something that I have to create in ArcCatalogue prior to doing it , right?  - the help says that it is pre-existing.

Thanks for any help.

Just pick one of the two buffer results and append the other one to it.  That is all that is meant by one must already exist.  Append does not create a new feature class, it just adds to an existing feature class.  You may want to set the Extent in the tool environment settings to ensure that it is large enough and constant to encompass all of your results prior to running the buffers.  Append assumes that both feature classes have the same schema to work best.  If they do not match you need to use the no test option.
0 Kudos
ChrisHolcomb
New Contributor
Thanks Richard for taking the time to help me analyze the affect of surrounding deforestation on red legged frog breeding effort in wetlands.
0 Kudos