How to make a new polygon/feature from a point which is NOT a centroid?

Jump to solution
04-03-2013 05:52 AM
MattSims
New Contributor
Spent all morning searching help sites and digging through the FAQs and worksheets but have failed miserably.

I am an Arc novice so I hope this isnt too much of a "newbie" question but I'm trying to work out how to make a new polygon/feature from a point which is NOT a centroid?

I have a series of points where the Easting and Northing listed represents the lower left hand corner of a 200m square. I know how to make a circular buffer which I can convert to a square with the Feature Envelope to Polygon tool but this isnt really what I want.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III
If you just want squares, all of the same size, can't you just shift the points systematically so that (maybe by modifying the easting and northing values) and then use the centroid tool?

Going off of this idea, you could create the squares based on the points as centroids and then in an editing session, select all of the polygons and shift them so the bottom left corner snaps to the point.

This way, you wouldn't be changing the point data.

Best,
Melanie S.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
LT
by
Occasional Contributor
If you just want squares, all of the same size, can't you just shift the points systematically so that (maybe by modifying the easting and northing values) and then use the centroid tool?
0 Kudos
MelanieSummers
Occasional Contributor III

Going off of this idea, you could create the squares based on the points as centroids and then in an editing session, select all of the polygons and shift them so the bottom left corner snaps to the point.

This way, you wouldn't be changing the point data.

Best,
Melanie S.
0 Kudos
MattSims
New Contributor
Thank you for your answers. For speed I just modified the eastings and northings from the first suggestion. 🙂
0 Kudos