How to convert CAD file xdata into geodatabase?

10-11-2015 08:34 AM
XingboChen
New Contributor III

I got a CAD(*.dwg) file with extend attributes stored in xdata, I tried to convert it into geodatabase by using data interoperability tool, but the result I got has no attributes, just the features. Then I thought maybe FME tool could make that happen, can someone help me with that, thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

Does this link offer any clues.

See Mark Ireland's response. Obviously linking to extended data objects is not easy-peasy.

Google Groups

0 Kudos
XingboChen
New Contributor III

Yes, that helps, now I can get the attributes. But each feature with same attributes stored in different lines, I can't get them all.

0 Kudos
NeilAyres
MVP Alum

"But each feature with same attributes stored in different lines, I can't get them all."

Not sure what you mean here. If you have managed to get at the extended data objects, what else do you need to do? Merge them back together again?

0 Kudos
AaronCheuvront1
New Contributor II

Not sure if you found a solution to this yet or if the need is even still there but I am working on a tool that might be able to solve this.  it uses a config file where you would specify the GIS schema you want and the different data elements and it will create ArcGIS for AutoCAD featureclasses and assign the data.  It's not set up to work with xdata yet but I could probably add that.  can you give me an example of the xdata and the featureclass(es) needed?

By the way, this would require running a custom command in AutoCAD.  Just want to make sure that is clear.