How do I join lines end-to-end

Jump to solution
06-26-2015 10:54 AM
JohnWarden
New Contributor III

I am using lat/lon coordinates to map points, then using the "Points to Line" tool to connect the points into a line, such as a road. The lat/lon coordinates are being generated separately for each county in the U.S.. Where the resulting lines are supposed to meet at the county boundary there is a small gap. The attached map illustrates the problem.

I have the same small gap where lines are supposed to join together within a county, which is also illustrated in the attachment.

Bearing in mind I will have thousands of instances where line pairs need to be joined, is there a way to do this with a few commands, or perhaps with a custom tool built in Modelbuilder.

If it helps, the line ends that need to be joined will always be very close together to begin with, they just won't be touching, so any procedure that involves performing an action based on proximity would probably work.

0 Kudos
22 Replies
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

f it helps, the line ends that need to be joined will always be very close together to begin with, they just won't be touching, so any procedure that involves performing an action based on proximity would probably work.

0 Kudos
SepheFox
Frequent Contributor

It's my understanding that he wants to snap the line endpoint to each other, rather then the counties, per se. Can you clarify that John? It's an important difference.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

If it's just a small gap(s) you might try setting up a topology and use a tolerance big enough to handle your gap(s) i' be careful what ever you use. You wouldn't want to inadvertently snap anything