I've got a file Geodatabase with simple point and line classes. One of the operations I need to perform is to buffer lines to find points within a specified tolerance - say 35 feet. I'm trying to use the ArcMap Geoprocessing "Buffer" tool, but it always errors with the code 999999. Here's the error listing from the Geoprocessing log file.
<Errors> <Error>ERROR 999999: Error executing function.</Error> <Error>Failed to execute (Buffer).</Error> </Errors> <EndTime>Mon May 05 13:58:24 2014</EndTime> <EndTime>5.38 seconds</EndTime>
I've actually done buffering of different sorts with many other Geodatabases, so I know it generally works, but it appears there is something about this one that's giving the Buffer tool (and me) fits.
First thought was that it had something to do with a faulty Spatial Reference - but this seems to be standard (South Dakota State Plane 1983 FIPS 4002).
Then I thought it might be the absence (or presence) of a Spatial Index. But I've tried it with classes that have and do not have a spatial index - same result.
The full log file is attached. Any clues to the source of my problem would be greatly appreciated.
Here's some more information on this problem. I gave a copy of the FGDB to a colleague to test. She was able to successfully complete the "Buffer' operation on the same class I've been trying -- though my attempts always fail.
We're both running ArcMap 10.2.1.3497. Both running the Geoprocessing tool in the foreground.
I've tried opening a new map document and adding only this one layer to it. Buffer still fails.
Since it works for my colleague running the same software on a different machine it would seem there's something about my particular environment.... hmmmmm....
Forgot to mention another, probably somewhat unique aspect of this environment. I'm running ArcGIS 10.2.1. However, prior to installing this version I had installed 10.2.2. When I found that a partner's solution expected only 10.2.1 I un-installed 10.2.2 and re-installed 10.2.1. Wondering if something in the un-install and re-install left aspects of the topology engine confused.
I've found the Buffer command to be occasionally stubborn. Here are a few things I do to avoid the 999999 error. 1. Make sure you are processing in a workspace on your local hard drive with sufficient memory. 2. Don't use the Dissolve option. Dissolve the data in a later step with the Dissolve tool. 3. Output your features with the SinglePart option. 4. Run Repair Geometry on input data before the Buffer process if necessary. 5. Try closing other applications to free up memory 6. Last resort clip your input data into tiles, buffer the tiles of data and append back together. Good luck.