Generate new polygons after spatial join of two layers

03-09-2017 12:15 AM
ThomasDybvik
New Contributor II

I did a spatial join of two layers: buildings and properties. My target is to select out all properties that contains buildings, and I did that with the 'select by location' tools. The problem is that my property polygons can for example contain buildings on half of the property, and the rest of the is suitable regarding my criteria (location analysis for housing - undeveloped areas). 

After spatial join, is there a tool that can regenerate polygons, making new polygon boarders based on groups of buildings (sorry for bad explaining). I know it can be don manually by editor, but my analyst area is too big to do it all this way. My goal is to do something like 'feature to polygon' (Feature To Polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop) but my polygons (buildings) aren't adjacent.

Edit: The marked area (red) in the attachment is the type of area I want to extract. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

select by location has a 'completely within' option but that will omit those that are only partially within.  There isn't an option to physically split a property if it just intersects.  you could find the difference between those that are completely within versus 'intersect' leaving a much smaller population to deal with. perhaps indicate on your figure what portions you want to keep/remove from the analysis

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am not sure if I understood your requirement. Do you want to extract the portions of the properties that don't (or do)have buildings?

You could try Union geoprocessing tool. Then select the polygons that have only Properties attribute (or both Properties and Building attribute) Using Select By Attributes as per your requirement.

Think Location
ThomasDybvik
New Contributor II

Sorry, I didn't manage to explain my problem as good as I should. But yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do (extract the portions of the properties that do NOT have buildings). 

I will try your tip, thank you. 

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have ArcGIS Desktop Advanced license, You could try Erase Geoprocessing Tool first.

Think Location
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

Yes Jayanta Poddar Champion ,And I prefer to use Aggregate Polygons—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  tool. before use erase tool . to prevent getting holes like the shape of building in the result.

ThomasDybvik
New Contributor II

Would it be better to do it that order? That's one of my problems, that I get holes in the result polygons, shaped exactly as the buildings. 

Thanks for the tip by the way, I will check it out  

0 Kudos