Exporting a timeslice from a Netcdf-Rasterlayer as tif-rasterlayer

08-16-2017 03:10 PM
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

In ArcGIS Desktop 10.4 (advanced licence) I downloaded a NetCDF-File from here: http://eca.knmi.nl/download/ensembles/downloadchunks.php (the 0.25 grid with the years 1995-2016). It consists of temperature-data over time (in days).

I read it into ArcGIS as a NetCDF-Rasterlayer, and now I'm trying to export data of a single time-slice as a tif-rasterlayer. I did not get the hang on Mosaic Datasets, so my plan is to make a spatial analysis on the exported tif-rasterlayer, relating it to landuse (also in a tif-rasterlayer), and later aggregating it to NUTS3-Level). If I keep track what happens to which rasters I can later export other time-slices as tables and relate the spatial analysis to them.

The export-function works in principle, but the raster looses it's attribute table, and without that I can't keep track which cell relates to which.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get that working?

Thanks a lot for any answer!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

Yes, in a way, they're along two different paths to get my analysis. Extracting the time interval and putting it into a mosaic dataset would be great, but, as of now, also adding raster to the mosaic dataset does not work. A fallback option would include, extracting the time-slices separately as raster and processing them individually. Will take all night, but even that is not in sight...

0 Kudos
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

Maybe this tutorial could help you, but it's for QGIS, a free gis software. You could use it to extract a time intervall as Geotiff?

http://www.ggiuliani.ch/download/netcdf_qgis_GG.pdf 

0 Kudos
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

I tried yesterday to read my way into QGIS. It seems to have a much better grip on NetCDF that ArcGIS, with a lot more options to extract and analyse the data directly, but I found it difficult to get started with QGIS.

Esri does not have Geotiff, only tiff and gif and GRID and a lot of things I don't know... But it's still an idea, I'll try what happens with all the other formats! Cheers.

0 Kudos
BettinaStoehr
New Contributor

The other formats did not work either...

I'll try to read my way into QGIS, but I'd still appreciate an answer...

0 Kudos