error 000599 in ArcGIS 10.1

09-26-2017 01:53 AM
KatarzynaBińczyk
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to generate Multiple Ring Buffers vis python tool from toolbox in ArcGIS 10.1. But when I change units into linear e.g. km or m, it crushes with this error, also dissolving is set on NONE and tackled outside polygon option. It works on different gdb properly. I've changed the XY extent in environment on 180/-180, 90/-90 and this also doesn't work. Coordinate system WGS-84. What can I do more? Or what I do wrong?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The multi ring buffer tool appears to be somewhat more limited than the buffer tool.  There is no indication that it uses geodesic buffering like the Buffer tool and you seem to be using geographic coordinates and then trying to specify buffers in kilometers.  I would suggest that you project your data to an appropriate projected coordinate system, and then try the tool.  You need to make sure that your buffer size is appropriate for your new extent.

Alternately, you can use the Buffer tool to produce your buffers and intersect the results.

Since the Multiple Ring buffer tool is a Python script, you could get information on how this process of intersecting the buffers is done script-wise or get the syntax for use in the tool

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

As suggested by Dan, you could reproject the input data to an appropriate Projected Coordinate System [e.g. Web Mercator (Auxiliary Sphere); EPSG:3857] using Project—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Think Location
KatarzynaBińczyk
New Contributor

Thank you,shame on me  Reprojecting helped.

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

A mistake is always a "Learning for Lifetime". So, there is nothing to be ashamed of. 

Enough said, could you please mark Dan's reply as correct, so that would help others facing similar issue?

Think Location
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

The error code 000599 refers to a bug NIM089961 and was resolved at ArcGIS Desktop 10.2.  Do you have the ability to upgrade to a new version of Desktop?

0 Kudos