Editing shapefile by cutting it with a line and other shapefile

Jump to solution
08-01-2014 04:46 AM
RenatoMamede
New Contributor II

Hello,

i want to cut a rectangular shapefile with a coast line (belonging to a shapefile) and a bathymetric line. Someone can help me in this task?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RenatoMamede
New Contributor II

Thank you, your answer was very helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JohannesBierer
Occasional Contributor III

Never used it but perhaps it's what your looking for:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

0 Kudos
RenatoMamede
New Contributor II

Thank you, your answer was very helpful

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

If you have a Standard or Advanced license you alternatively can use the Split Polygons tool on the Advanced Editing toolbar to split polygons with existing line features during an edit session.

If you have an Advanced License you can use the Features to Polygon tool in a geoprocessing workflow.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Another way to do this (which I can't seem to find anywhere in the documentation) is to use the Cut Polygons Tool. After you select the polygon you want to cut, right click on a feature that completely crosses the polgyon and select Replace Sketch.

replace.png

You'll then have the feature highlighted

replace1.png

If you're satisfied, hit the F2 button (Finish Sketch) which clips the selected polygon with your feature

replace2.png

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

Ken:

The Replace Sketch behavior definitely needs to be better documented.  The only mention I found in the help is a Tip in the middle of this help topic that vaguely describes what the Replace Sketch Editor menu option does.  I guess that is why the Forums and Geonet exist, so we can get help from those who know what actually works in the real world.

It seems pretty simple and I assume it can be done at any license level.  Does it preserve the attributes of the original polygon?  I came across another post that suggested that it might not.

(Edit:  Sorry Ken for originally attributing your post to Dan.  Dan Patterson has jumped in on so many discussions I have followed lately that I just glanced over the name and when I saw the first name was 3 letters long I assumed it came from him).

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It does copy the attributes in the test I just ran (except, of course, for the ObjectID or FID).

0 Kudos