disappearing catalog, table of contents and search window

06-01-2012 03:26 PM
jamesnorton
New Contributor
I cannot get my table of contents, search window, or catalog to show up in arcmap. One day it worked next day wont show. I have gone to windows tab and clicked on th toolbar but still wont show. The python window and model builder will show up when clicking icons on tool bar but the others wont. Does anybody know how I can fix this?
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MathewCoyle
Frequent Contributor
Have you tried deleting your normal.mxt?
P_PatrickMann
New Contributor II

This works, but it's not a permanent fix - moving one of these windows off the main window results in this situation every time - have to go through this process each time I forget that moving a window off causes this error. Docked windows seem to be OK.

0 Kudos
AlexHarris
New Contributor
Are you in Arc 10? If so, you can access alll these from the "windows" tab at the top of the software bar. They will then snap to the right hand side bar and hovering over them or clicking will open them. If you press down the pin button once they are open, the relevant feature will stay open, repeat to close.
P_PatrickMann
New Contributor II

Those buttons also don't work once the system loses track of the separate windows or maps them to a location off the screen. I found that only resetting the normal.mxt file works in this case.

In my case, I suspect this is from poor handling of a high-resolution display by some configuration setting in Arc (2880 x 1620, 10.2, Win7), but I haven't been able to get a response on this issue yet that fixes it permanently. It's a real nuisance to be totally locked out and have to reset the normal.mxt to get control back.

0 Kudos
Pierre-LucBoivin
Occasional Contributor
I cannot get my table of contents, search window, or catalog to show up in arcmap. One day it worked next day wont show. I have gone to windows tab and clicked on th toolbar but still wont show. The python window and model builder will show up when clicking icons on tool bar but the others wont. Does anybody know how I can fix this?

I'm having the same problem with the search window, I'm clicking on it and nothing appear... I'm also having problems with Et GeoWizard 10.2, when I try to run it I have this error : " Configuration system failed to initialize Open Main Dialog - Clikc". I don't know if it relate ?

Pierre-Luc
0 Kudos
Pierre-LucBoivin
Occasional Contributor
Here the solution that works for me :

I've try to repair the installation Arcgis 10.1, uninstall and reinstall is still nothing was working always having the same problems. So I decide to use a restoration point created a few days ago, after the restoration of the system I got to reinstall Arcgis because I had a fatal error when i try to launch it and now it's works perfectly.

😄
0 Kudos
JakeAalfs
New Contributor
I am having the same problems. My search window will not appear no matter how I try to access it (icon, menu or ctrl-f). And ETGeoWizards will not work. Does anyone have any suggestions. Going back to a restore point is not an option at this point. I've tried uninstalling all ArcGIS products and reinstalling. I noticed the search window worked right after I reinstalled, but once I installed SP1 for 10.1 it disappeared again.
0 Kudos
HendrikMeuwese
New Contributor
I had the same error regarding ETGeoWizards. Error started about one week ago. I am using ArcMap 10.1, build 3035 on Windows 7.

I managed to fix the issue by deleting a folder in the directory d:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\ESRI\ the folder was named 'DefaultDomain_Path_bufbldz3c3i32vy0yno003ltdz4xhkaq\'
0 Kudos
JohnWall
Occasional Contributor

Worked for me in ArcMap 10.5.1

0 Kudos