CSV Data - ArcMap 10.2 - working with Exponential/Mathematical Numbers

01-08-2015 06:12 PM
timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

This is doing my head in...

I have a simple .CSV file: X (easting), Y (Northing), DataValue (e.g. 1.52E-26, 1.20E-21, 8.69E-22, etc..)

If I drag this file from Catalog it gives the DataValue field "double" format and makes all values zero.

I've tried using the excel to table tool, I've tried saving as a .txt file...no luck.

Opening this .csv file in MapInfo Professional works perfectly....i.e. holds all the mathematical values.

Why is ArcMap so difficult when it comes to a simple .csv file ??

Am I doing something wrong?

help?

thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

A schema.ini hopefully will make it easier. Schema.ini File (Text File Driver)

0 Kudos
timdunlevie
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mike….much appreciated.

Seems like a lot of fiddling around just to view/interrogate data in ArcMap ??

Tim

0 Kudos
MikeCusi
Occasional Contributor II

If you open the CSV file in excel, a schema.ini is created initialy. You can edit this to define the data types. The file schema.ini is usually with a "hidden' attribute so you may not see it unless your folder settings allows it.

0 Kudos
BarbaraMoloney
New Contributor

Hi all

I have a similar but perhaps reverse problem. I have some polygon data in a .gdb file which has centroid Long Lat in decimal degrees eg 151.2348, -33.98114. When I export to a shape file, the .dbf file component of that has truncations of the Long Lat eg 151.235, -33.9811. I then want to pull that data back into ArcGIS after doing some manipulaton in Excel.The Lat truncation is not much of a problem at the scale I am working at (a 2 km zone around a central point) but the Long shows up as dots arranged as vertical lines.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

Barbara

0 Kudos