Creating wedge-shaped territories

01-19-2016 07:02 AM
JuanetteWillis
New Contributor II

Good morning, I am trying to create new territories for our inspectors based on the number of locations to be inspected. Our office is centrally located in the county. We are wanting to have wedge-shaped territories radiating from our office, like pieces of a pie. Any suggestions on how to have the GIS assist with the division?

Thanks,

Juanette

32 Replies
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Do you have an advanced license? You could put a point at the center of each proposed area then use Create Thiessen Polygons—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  to create the polys.

JuanetteWillis
New Contributor II

Unfortunately no, I do not have an advanced license. Just basic ArcMap 10.1 with the Spatial Analyst extension.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

When i did districts for my codes enforcement inspectors i used the Districting for ArcGIS | Overview  the tool is intended for political boundaries but i used five years of historical inspection data to create a balanced set of districts.

JuanetteWillis
New Contributor II

I did not know about this add-on. It shows potential. Since this is for inspecting restaurants, hotels, pools etc. I do have a specific set of locations.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I haven't tried the tool yet, but Dan Patterson​ published a tool to calculate Thiessen polygons with a Basic license: http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6e9bc6cbf93d4939b2eb04ff8519be47

SheldonBaker
New Contributor II

Juanette,

Looks like you have some grounds for asking for a GIS upgrade from the County?

JuanetteWillis
New Contributor II

LOL Sheldon. I don't think this one time project would justify the expense. But I can dream.

0 Kudos
JuanetteWillis
New Contributor II

P.S. Sheldon, it is great to see you on here. I worked in Big Bend NP for a while and miss the wide open spaces. I would love to have a private conversation and hear more about your work for NPS.

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just wanted to toss out a couple of ideas, though it may be more elaborate than you want:

1.  Most of the inspections will likely require transiting a street network.  If points could be established at the center of each "territory" (see the idea by Wes Miller  , then if you have access to the Network Analyst Extension, you could run a Location Allocation to refine the territories.

ArcGIS Help 10.1 - Network Analyst

2.  In terms of figuring out where to place the "center" of each territory, there may possibly be a way to derive those centers using the Geostatsical Analyst Extension.  However, I'm not super-familair with this extension, so we'd need someone who is to chime in here.

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Chris Donohue, GISP