Convert from ecw to jpg fails

11-22-2014 12:36 PM
AhmadSALEH1
Occasional Contributor III

I am trying to convert a batch of ecw aerial photos to jpg in arcmap using the ( Raster to other format) but each time it converts 4 or 5 images and then fails and show this message.

000053HOME.jpg000054HOME.jpg

what might be the issue here, I have more than 150GB free on my hard disc and i tried to use more than 1 PC.

Thank you

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
YovavZohar1

Hi Ahmad,

I'd try turning off Background Processing (BP) and run the tool again.

This can be done by going to Geoprocessing Options (Geoprocessing menu) --> Uncheck the "Enable" under the Background Processing.

Sometimes the BP causes these kind of behavior.

Secondly, ECWs can be a bit tricky format to deal with. Make sure (if you can) that the files are stored locally and that the output rasters are also stored locally.

Good Luck

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1

Yovav Zohar  i am very appreciated for your reply. I am  afraid that the issue is not solved, see the screenshots.  

000026.jpg

000028.jpg

0 Kudos
YovavZohar1

Hi Ahmad,

I'm sorry, but I don't have any insight on solving it. Probably, Larry's advice to ask ESRI support will serve you the best in your case.

Though, you can still try some workarounds:

1. Try to Batch the Copy Raster Tool

2. If you have an ArcGIS for Desktop Standard/Advanced License level, you could build a Mosaic Dataset on those rasters and then run the Export Mosaic Dataset Items Tool.

Good luck

0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1

Thank you Yovav Zohar   again

Copy Raster have the same problem

and even the mosaic dataset have problem in the overviews

I think its a problem with this version of ECW images ArcGIS cant deal with it, so as you said I need to contact with ESRI to report his problem.

Thank you Mr Yovav Zohar I am very appreciated

0 Kudos
larryzhang

For ArcGIS to deal with ‘ECW files to others’, the issue that people are facing will depend on ECW version (v1, v2, or v3) and ArcGIS version (10.1.x, or 10.2.x) …

Generally, to JPEG, the colormap from ECW RGB is not supported in ArcGIS. So, the workaround is:

1. Convert ECW 2 from TIFF in ArcGIS first, and then to JPEG;
  2. Convert ECW to JPEG directly, if ERDAS ER Mapper available in your organization
0 Kudos
AhmadSALEH1

Iarry thank you very much for your reply,

1) convert ECW to TIFF, i tried it but the issue still there in addition of the amount of time that i should work in order to convert the images since its not a one time job form me.

2) Unfortunately its not  available in my organization, but i think the tool " raster to other format " is a strong and easy tool in arcmap  and it should work.

sitll not know what is the problem with this tool and ecw format.

thank you for your time and help

0 Kudos
larryzhang

With " raster to other format " in ArcGIS, 'convert ECW to TIFF as a batch' works. (I tested 10 ecw files in 10.1 in one job, which works fine).

ECW-TIFF-Batch.JPGECW-TIFF-Batch1.JPG

For your case, contact ESRI via remedy for investigation.

++++++++++

To me, ArcGIS has some issues to deal with ECW v1 & v3 and JPEG. However, it works smoothly with ECW v2 from ECW to TIFF or IMG; No direct way from ECW to JPEG in ArcGIS...

In fact, if you have no special reasons for JPEG format, advisable to convert to JP2 (larger images) or PNG (small photos) from ECW 'directly or via IMG / TIFF' in ArcGIS.

AhmadSALEH1

larry zhang I am very thankful for your help

the reason to convert to jpg is that i need to create a Mosaic dataset and publish it as a service and then use it in  a web mapping application and thus the most suitable format for web mapping applications is jpg, by the way how can i guess  the version of the ECW image (v1,v2,v3) ?

0 Kudos
larryzhang

You have no 'direct' way to identify the version of ECW in ArcGIS.

However, you can try the indirect way.

First of all, ArcGIS DOES support ECW v2 very well, including directly loading into Mosaic Dataset. In other word, if your ECW files are in v2, it should work in ArcGIS 10.x ... Inversely, pretty sure that ArcGIS 10.x does not support ECW v3 at all.

Secondly, ECW v1 is the first release (ECW) before 2000, which was mainly for IWS (attachment - ECW v1). ECW v2 is a stable release from ER Mapper 6/ 7, which is competitive to MrSID (attachment - ECW v2). ECW v3 is one of three compressors (ECW v2, v3 and JP2) from ECW JPEG 2000 tool within ERDAS Imagine/ ER Mapper (after ERDAS acquired ER Mapper in 2007), which is mainly optimal for ERDAS Apollo...