Combine points by location same feature class

10-27-2021 03:00 PM
ElizabethBaer
New Contributor

I am looking to combine points based on their location that are in the same feature class. I have many points that are coded for individually from geotagged photos of homes. These points are in roughly the same place but there are multiple photos per home. All of these photos, and therefore points, are in the same feature class. I know I could use a spacial join, but that would involve separating out each duplicate photo into a separate feature class, a merge function, or snap tool but all of these methods would be too tedious for the magnitude of data and points I am working with.  How can I combine these without separating them into different feature classes?

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

potentially Aggregate Points (Cartography)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

which will give you a polygon

If you want to stick with points you could take the centroid of the clusters, then spatially join your original points to the centroids.

Other suggestions would depend on what you want to do.... analysis? symbolize? etc

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ElizabethBaer
New Contributor

Thank you! I would love to stick with points and taking the centroid of each individually I think would be more time consuming than separating out the feature classes. The plan would be to symbolize the points in order to show some outside attributes of each home, once each is individual and not many points.... 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You don't need to take the centroid of each point.  The tool aggregates the points, as they are clustered into a polygon based on a proximal distance.  You take the centroid of those polygons, then join your data back to it

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
ElizabethBaer
New Contributor

Thank you so much! I will try that out!:)

0 Kudos

You can do it this from tools box - data mangment - photo

0 Kudos