Clipping two layers with matching column headings

11-11-2012 04:10 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mharr3636

Hello there.  I am trying to clip two layers that have the matching column headings for my graduate project.  I have a spreadsheet with lake numbers for lakes in Minnesota and a file from the MN DNR Deli that has all of the lake numbers from all of the lakes in the state of MN.  Importing my spreadsheet gives me a point feature of my 1506 lakes from my spreadsheet. The file from the DNR has ~49,000 polygons of the lakes in MN.

The two layers lake_types (point) and watr_dnrpy2 (polygon) have the matching column heading DOWLKNUM.  The lake_types layer has 1506 records while the watr_dnrpy2 has ~49,000 records.  For the final product, I would like to have a layer with the 1506 lakes in polygon format.  So in other words, out of the 49,000 records, I would like to match the DOWLKNUM heading and create a new layer with the 1506 lakes in polygon format.  If anyone is able to help me with this function it would be much appreciated.  I took screenshots of the attribute tables and can be found below.  Thanks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19210[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19211[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: JSkinn3

Hi Mike,

You can accomplish this by creating a Join.  See the link below for the steps:

http://resourcesdev.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Joining_attributes_in_one_table_to_anot...

After the join is created, you can create a new shapefile/feature class by right-clicking on the polygon lakes layer > Data > Export Data.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mharr3636

That link doesn't seem to be working.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Try the following link here.
0 Kudos