change field aliases name to match the  field name automatically

01-08-2014 05:54 AM
SrijanaTuladhar
New Contributor III
Hi -
We have an automated process of creating feature class after joining the mutliple tables. During the process, we also rename the field names (I perform this using Make Feature Layer), however in 10.2, I noticed that when the field name are changed, it does not change the alias name automatically. This is a problem for us because when the user views the layer in arcmap it shows the field alias name instead of field name. Is there a tool to change the fields aliases name in the model builder or python script as well? Or is there any other work around so the alias name will match with field name?

Thanks for your help in advance!!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Sri,

If you are using the 10.2.1, you can use the new Alter Field tool.
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
If you are using the 10.2.1, you can use the new Alter Field tool.

Hurray!! We've been asking for this functionality since 8.0 (c. 2000). Can't wait to try it out.

A companion to the Convert Coordinate Notation tool, which we were asking for back in the Workstation days (1980s).

(Note Jake, we civilians just got access to the 10.2.1 download less than 24 hours ago.)

Without 10.2.1, there is no out of the box functionality -- but one could write a Python script to change the schema generating field mappings and running the Merge_management tool with a custom field mapping. This would have the advantage of doing all the fields at once, where I'm assuming Alter Field only alters one field at a time.
0 Kudos
SrijanaTuladhar
New Contributor III
We're using 10.2.0 and Alter field tool does not exist in 10.2. I will look into installing 10.2.1.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
RussellBrennan
Esri Contributor
There is no doc specific to 10.2.1 so it has to go into the 10.2 online help. You should not see it in the installed help for 10.2. But you will see it in the installed help when you install 10.2.1.

There is a mention in the what's new in 10.2.1 topic right at the top!
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/What_s_new_in_ArcGIS_10_2_1/016w0000005v00...

0 Kudos