Calculating field values from shp to another

Jump to solution
02-18-2016 01:29 PM
ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

Afternoon All -

In the picture below there's a Seg ID (blue line) and four purple areas with unique IDs show in purple.

Is it possible spatially add the four unique IDS to a single field within the Seg ID shape file?

I tried spatial join, but it lists the Seg ID multiple times, which doesnt work for what the client needs.

The only way we have been able to achieve the end goal is to manually type in the unique IDS from the purple areas into the a single field with in the Seg ID layer. Sadly this method is extremely time consuming.

Thanks for the help!

roads.tif

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

I don't have a way to provide a screen shot this morning. Right click your field in the spatial join dialog and "add input field"

View solution in original post

10 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Scott!

I am not sure if this helps or not but have you tried Dynamic Segmentation? This may be a way for your line to be broken up yet still be continuous, and allow for individual attributes like you need.

Dynamic segmentation—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Also, for me I think it helps when you just copy and paste a screen shot into the forum post so that it's just there to be looked at instead of downloaded (or post a link to a photo). And, it might help to move your post out of the GeoNet Help and into a more specified place (like GIS Places or so).

0 Kudos
ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply and the advice. Never thought of using Dynamic Segmentation, I'll check it out!

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

You can use Spatial Join—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  and set the field properties to join and pick your delimiter

ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

Wes -

When I tried spatial join previously, the output shape file listed the Seg ID multiple times? Unless I spatial join them wrong, which is possible!

Using your method above will the resulting output shape file have 1 Seg ID(blue line) and listed the unique purple IDs with in a separate field in the Seg ID?

Example

Fields Within the Seg ID Shape

Seg ID       Drainage_ID        

500144      9655-00061,9655-00061,9655-00070,9655-0071

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Yes, for the join operation use one to one and use a match option that best suits your data, you should get the desired results.

ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

Morning Wes -

Thanks for the help with the spatial join.

I've done all the steps you've outlined, but my output join file doesn't include any data within the new field. I did use all the rules from your first post with the delimiters. I've tried just about all of the math options to no avail.

I did attach a screen shot of the spatial join options I was using to try and create the new join.

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

Did you map the field with the desired values to the new field? Is your distance large enough to capture any features? Try changing from within a distance to closest.

0 Kudos
ScottHoffman1
New Contributor II

desired values go to the delimiter field?

0 Kudos
WesMiller
Regular Contributor III

I don't have a way to provide a screen shot this morning. Right click your field in the spatial join dialog and "add input field"