buffer line & clip parallel to line endpoint

Jump to solution
05-14-2021 08:21 AM
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to buffer a line feature and then break it down into smaller polygons by clipping parallel to the line endpoints ( see screen capture below taken from Paving the Road Ahead with ArcGIS and AI (esri.com)) or to create thiessen polygons using endpoints and ensuring that they follow the line segments?

SarahHartholt_0-1621005421297.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Samtheram
New Contributor

I downloaded this toolbox and added it to Arcmap 10.7 but it doesn't show any tool in it. Any ideas or ahs it worked for anyone? I think it would greatly help with what I'm trying to achieve.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
lcatania
New Contributor II

Is this what you would line to accomplish?

0 Kudos
SarahHartholt
Occasional Contributor III

Yes as long as the break points are at specified nodes (i.e. at the blue dots pictured below)

SarahHartholt_0-1621256887471.png

0 Kudos
Samtheram
New Contributor

I downloaded this toolbox and added it to Arcmap 10.7 but it doesn't show any tool in it. Any ideas or ahs it worked for anyone? I think it would greatly help with what I'm trying to achieve.

lcatania
New Contributor II

The tool was created in ArcGIS Pro.  I tried to convert to ArcGIS 10.7, but it would not due to incompatibility with one of the tools.  This was the model I created if you want to take a crack at building one in ArcGIS or use ArcGIS Pro.  I would create it in ArcGIS for you, but am a bit swamped with work this week and on vacation next week.

lcatania_0-1694042274818.png

JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Please check if any of these options work for you.

Option-1:

One way is to create Buffer with End_Type as "Flat".

JayantaPoddar_0-1621027899192.png

Option-2:

1. Create Buffer with End_Type as "Round".

2. Using the line Feature Class, execute Minimum Bounding Geometry , choose a suitable bounding Geometry Type (Rectangle by Width).

3. Clip the Buffer Boundary using the MBG boundary.

JayantaPoddar_1-1621028330759.png

Think Location
0 Kudos