Attribute Table: Delete Field not Working?

03-27-2012 07:39 AM
SamanthaM
New Contributor
I am trying to delete a attribute table I created, but its not working for some reason. I am right clicking the field that I want to remove, and I select delete field from the drop down but nothing happens.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13051[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SamanthaM
New Contributor
User error, just noticed when I formatted the table in excel I removed a zero.
0 Kudos
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
What version of ArcGIS are you using? Can you try the Delete Field tool (Data Managment toolbox - Fields toolset)? If that doesn't work, could you share your table?
0 Kudos
SamanthaM
New Contributor
What version of ArcGIS are you using? Can you try the Delete Field tool (Data Managment toolbox - Fields toolset)? If that doesn't work, could you share your table?

Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate the help. I am using ArcGIS 10. I attempted to the delete field tool and that did not work either. The field is part of the shape file, not a join just to clarify. I have attached the shapefile to this post. The field that needs to be removed is "Text", the last colum
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
I downloaded the data and deleted the Text field in the Schools2010.shp without a problem. I used 10.0 SP3.

Can you try restart ArcMap and try deleting the field again? Also you can try the Copy Features tool to make a copy of the shapefile and try to delete the field again. Does that work?

Can you add another field using Add Field tool and then Delete Field to delete that new field?
0 Kudos
SamanthaM
New Contributor
I downloaded the data and deleted the Text field in the Schools2010.shp without a problem. I used 10.0 SP3.

Can you try restart ArcMap and try deleting the field again? Also you can try the Copy Features tool to make a copy of the shapefile and try to delete the field again. Does that work?

Can you add another field using Add Field tool and then Delete Field to delete that new field?

I attempted restarting the program/computer and using copy features. In addition I used various other different shapefiles, added fields and attempted to delete them with no success.

I believe I am using SP 1 at the moment, where do I verify what SP I am running? I am not sure if this is a known issue but I will go ahead and upgrade the latest SP and hope it resolves this issue.

EDIT: Upgrading to SP4 fixed this issue, must have been a bug
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
I am sorry about the trouble you run into. Hope the upgrade will help. To check your SP version in ArcMap, click Help (top of the window) and select "About ArcMap ..."; you should see "ArcGIS Desktop 10 Service Pack # (Build xxxx)".

Have you tried to re-download the data to a new folder and try again? Perhaps you have processed something that has caused the "lock" on this data.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
I didn't see your edit before submitting my answer. I am glad the problem is gone.
0 Kudos