Assign field alias using model builder?

11-05-2010 12:35 PM
SheriNorton
Occasional Contributor II
Does anyone know if there's a tool that allows assignment of an alias to a field using model builder?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TimothyHandley
New Contributor
I don't know a direct way to do this, but I do know a slightly clunky way. The 'Add Field' tool allows you to specify an alias for the field you're adding. You could create a new field with the name and alias you want, use 'Calculate Field' to copy the data from the old field to the new field, then use 'Delete Field' to remove the old field.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In ArcMap 10.5:

Data management > Fields > Alter Field

0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Sheri,

If you are creating new fields, you can use Add Field—Help | ArcGIS Desktop, you need to set the Alias Field name as a parameter so that during the creation process the model will take it as an input and generate the field with alias name.

If you are updating your existing fields, you can use Alter Field—Help | ArcGIS Desktop, you need to provide the Updated Alias Name that will be reflected once the model has finished executing.

From a schema creation standpoint, it is a good practice to provide alias field names while creating the field itself, however if the occasion arises for updating or altering the fields name we can use the above workflows.

I hope this helps.

~Shan

~Shan
0 Kudos
shan_sarkar
Occasional Contributor III

Any update on this?

~Shan