ASCII to Raster in ArcGIS Pro replacement?

Jump to solution
04-17-2020 07:32 AM
AaronHaggen
New Contributor II

Can an ASCII file still be converted to a Raster in ArcGIS Pro? (version 2.5 or above)

In a recent update the ASCII to Raster tool in ArcGIS Pro was removed. It has been replaced by the Copy Raster tool according  this documentation.

I can't seem to figure out how to use the Copy Raster tool with an ASCII file as the source. Even using the Raster to ASCII tool to create a source ASCII file to test with, there's no obvious way on how to do this. There is no way to select the ASCII file as the source.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AaronHaggen
New Contributor II

During my testing, I discovered that if I use a .asc and then load it into a map as a layer, I can then select it from the Input Raster field using the drop down menu instead. Thank you for the tip! This will work for the time being, although it does seem odd that the file explorer option doesn't work as expected.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is your ASCII raster file named with an .asc extension so ArcGIS will recognize it as a raster?

Raster file formats—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 

AaronHaggen
New Contributor II

During my original testing I had kept it as a .txt extension since that was how ArcGIS generated the file using the Raster to ASCII tool.

I did just attempt it using .asc as the file extension. The "Input Raster" field still can't seem to see these type of files when I browse to the  folder it is contained in.

Image of Copy Raster tool, showing that there are no available files to select for the Input Raster field.

0 Kudos
AaronHaggen
New Contributor II

During my testing, I discovered that if I use a .asc and then load it into a map as a layer, I can then select it from the Input Raster field using the drop down menu instead. Thank you for the tip! This will work for the time being, although it does seem odd that the file explorer option doesn't work as expected.

0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I took a look at this in ArcGIS Pro 2.5, and it looks like I can use a .asc or .txt from the Catalog pane as input to the Copy Raster tool.  

I can also drag and drop a .asc or .txt directly from the file system into the tool as input.

See my testing here: ASC Input to Copy Raster 

Ishwar_Vatas
New Contributor

Hey mate, once you generated the raster it popped up on the side but how come even though the box was ticked it didn't display the raster on the map.

I'm asking because i'm having the same problem on my map. 

The "copy Raster" tools generates the raster but i cannot see it on the map.

Thanks

TheresaAwine
New Contributor

Hello,  please can this work for ArcGIS Pro 3.1? I tried it and it did not work.

0 Kudos