Select to view content in your preferred language

Arrgh -  simple field calculate won't work - suggestions?

04-26-2010 12:29 PM
SteveNelson
Occasional Contributor II
I have a feature class in an SDE GDB called "Graffiti"
This feature class is a one-way replication from another SDE GDB.

I can add the layer to ArcMap, open the table, start Editing, and right click my field PhotoLink and calculate field =
"file:\\fileserver.tob.int\users\Corporate_Services\Bylaw_Services\Graffiti\TEST-GIS-SETUP_DONOTDELETE\"& [CASE_NUMBER]&"\Photos\"& [CASE_NUMBER]&".jpg"

It works great in ArcMap.

If I close ArcMap, open ArcCatalog and create a new Model, I add in the "Calculate Field" tool to my model, I set the Input Table (Graffiti), I set the Field Name (PhotoLink) I set the expression to the same as above and specify the VB expression type.

I get this error when I try to run the model:

ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
The object cannot be edited using the current edit session mode. [ArcServer_Internal_READONLY.DBO.Graffiti]
A locator with this name does not exist.
Failed to execute (Calculate Field).

Can anyone suggest a solution for me?  Currently there is nothing pointing to or using this layer, no services, no mxds or anything.  The fact that it's a replication of another SDE GDB makes me wonder, but the fact that ArcMap allows me to manually calculate the field is what's confusing me - if it works in ArcMap, why not in Model Builder??

Thanks so much for any suggestions
Steve
0 Kudos
2 Replies
SteveNelson
Ahhh, hang on here.  When creating the replication, I see in ArcMap that one way replications says
"The child is considered read only".  The table I'm trying to update is the child, so I wonder if this is why the field calculator won't work.
I'll try replicating using a two way and see if that fixes it.

(just figured Id update what I find out in case someone else wastes a good hour and half like i have so far 😞  )
0 Kudos
SteveNelson
Nope - no difference when using two way replication.

Grrrr, I swear you need to be a friggn rocket scientist sometimes to get ESRI tools to work.

Any suggestions greaty appreciated.
Can edit the two way in ArcMap just like one way, but model won't work when using Field Calculator.
0 Kudos