ArcGIS Modelbuilder: Merge features from same layer into one feature

05-16-2016 07:00 PM
PV
by
New Contributor III

How can I merge two features from the same layer into one feature when using the Model Builder?

Outside of the model builder, this can easily be done with the Edit Tool. How can I make the same process work in Modelbuilder?

Also, is there a way to automatically tell Modelbuilder to chose the Feature with the lower Value of Field-X to be the "Parent-feature"?

I work with ArcGIS 10.1

I aksed the question also on gis.stackexchange:
ArcGIS Modelbuilder: Merge features from same layer into one feature - Geographic Information System...

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

editing as in your sense, is not the design platform for modelbuilder.  Modelbuilder is designed to work with already created features in featureclasses etc, using existing tools in arctoolbox.  For example

Merge—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

Append—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

and other tools in the An overview of the General toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop and An overview of the Generalization toolset—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop  toolsets.  Even the An overview of the Editing toolbox—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop are designed to work that way.

Your choice for creating geometry and attributes outside of a true 'edit' session lie within those tools, arcobjects or arcpy and python.

PankajJamwal1
New Contributor II

Were you able to find a solution for this? I also want to merge two features from the same Feature class into one feature on the basis of Unique identifier.

0 Kudos
AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

this question was asked before.

Look to the answers in this links:

https://community.esri.com/thread/109428

https://community.esri.com/thread/176035

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Not sure if this was already mentioned as a potential solution, but I'll throw it out.  This will work if each feature that needs to be merged to another is be assigned the same value in an attribute field.  The result of this tool will be a new (dissolved) layer as an output.  For example, if I have several polygons that are coded "LDR" and several that are coded "MDR", they can be merged by running this tool, with the result being a "LDR" polygon and a "MDR" polygon.

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2) - Dissolve (Data Management)

Chris Donohue, GISP