ArcGIS 10.1: Append two Feature Classes into new empty Feature Class 13min!

10-01-2012 04:49 AM
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
The append tool takes really long to append simple polygon features into a new empty feature class it takes 13min to append. The ability to append existing records with the same schema has to improved, this is really slow.

Regards
0 Kudos
1 Reply
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III
I've done a fair amount of testing with regards to the performance of ArcGIS 10.1, specifically the Geoprocessing environment. I've tested ArcGIS Tools within ArcToolbox, ModelBuilder utilising ArcGIS Tools and ModelBuilder Tools. I've also tested ArcPy within ArcMap and ArcCatalog. I've also run ArcGIS Tools and ArcPy scripts in the foreground and background. There seems to be a few bugs associated with running scripts in the background. ArcMap and ArcCatalog become unresponse on numerous occasions. The ArcGIS tool Table to Table will not run within the background. The Geoprocessing tools on a whole run extremely better on data that is either saved locally or on an external drive. Data that is stored on a network file server is far slower and even unresponsive at times. I've tested the network for speeds and connectivity and could not find any reason for the poor geoprocessing times. The network is not dropping and copying speeds is between 250 MB/s to 500 MB/s. I've attached screen shots of Tera Copy while copying data from a local drive to the file server as well as the Network Speeds via the Task Manager.

Regards
0 Kudos