Applying Symbology in a model (values not the same)

04-04-2012 12:59 PM
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Hi -

I'm about as green as green can be when it comes to model building but it's time for me to dive in.

For my first project I have maybe 50 shapefiles that I would like to assign a value field and specific color ramp to however I have little idea where to begin. The shapefiles are submarket boundaries for various markets in the US.

I see that there is an apply symbology tool however I suspect that it will take whatever "value field" field and values are in my "symbology layer" and use them however there are no duplicates in values. It's ok to use the same field but the values are all different for the different shapefiles.

I thought that I'd create a tool that applied my default symbology selections to a shapefile and then would run that tool in a batch mode.

My confusion is reflected in the confusion of the request 🙂

Looking forward to any help and guidance you all can give me.
0 Kudos
12 Replies
DanLee
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor
Could you provide some more details about how the symbology layer is made and saved and what you see wrong, perhaps with some screenshots? Are you working on vector features or rasters? Or you can share your data, so that we can have a look.
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Could you provide some more details about how the symbology layer is made and saved and what you see wrong, perhaps with some screenshots? Are you working on vector features or rasters? Or you can share your data, so that we can have a look.

Hi Dan -

So the symbology layer is just one of the market layers that I've set up the way I want.  The two main items are:

1) It's a Category type symbology
2) The Value Field is the field "Submarket" which is the same field name but not the same values in each shapefile.
3) The Color Ramp is "Dark Glazes"

I am working with vectors - polygons.

In order to share files I put the shapefile files in a zip and then attach to post, right?  I will go ahead and make samples of two of the submarket files and show one with symbology and one as is.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Thanks for providing more details and preparing a sample data.

Yes, you can just attach a zip file to the post.
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Dan - sorry for not posting today.  Off doing other work and was having a problem making a packaged layer file (i made one but can't find it anywhere on the computer 😞 ). I realized that you'd need packaged layer with one of the shapefiles to see the symbolism I was trying to duplicate.

I will post tomorrow.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
No problem. Take your time.

You can try the package, but you don't have to. All I need is the symbology layer, the source data used to create the symbology layer, and the data you are trying to apply the symbology to.
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for providing more details and preparing a sample data.

Yes, you can just attach a zip file to the post.

Hi -

There are two packaged layer files in the attached zip file.

One, subset_ABQ, has the symbology that I would like to use (remembering that field submarket will have different values in each different shapefile) and the second, subset_AVL, is another file to be processed that has default symbology.

Thank you for your help.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for providing the sample data. I tried the following:

Added the \v10\0000subset_AVL.lyr to ArcMap.
Ran the Apply Symbology From Layer tool (Data Management toolbox - Layers and Table Views toolset in ArcGIS 10 SP3):
   Input Layer is the subset_AVL
   Symbology Layer is the \ABQ_sym\0000subset_ABQ_sym.lyr.

The subset_AVL layer was symbolized, showing the 7 unique values from SUBMARKET field; none of them were in the symbology layer. The symbol colors were unique and the labels were shown correctly. Please see attachment.

Did you not get what I get? What ArcGIS version are you using?
0 Kudos
JenniferMinnick
Occasional Contributor
Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for providing the sample data. I tried the following:

Added the \v10\0000subset_AVL.lyr to ArcMap.
Ran the Apply Symbology From Layer tool (Data Management toolbox - Layers and Table Views toolset in ArcGIS 10 SP3):
   Input Layer is the subset_AVL
   Symbology Layer is the \ABQ_sym\0000subset_ABQ_sym.lyr.

The subset_AVL layer was symbolized, showing the 7 unique values from SUBMARKET field; none of them were in the symbology layer. The symbol colors were unique and the labels were shown correctly. Please see attachment.

Did you not get what I get? What ArcGIS version are you using?

OK - I have to apologize profusely for wasting your time and say thank you for taking the time to show me something basic.

I'm trying to learn how to make a model to do this in a batch and I made the assumption that the "apply" symbology tool would work like the "import" symbology option in the feature symbology tab.  I thought they were essentially the same thing which is why I got flustered.

Now I have to figure out how to make the "input layer" into a parameter and then make this a tool so that I can do a batch.

I got sidetracked with not understanding the tool - and now can move onto the model which I really  have no idea where to start.
0 Kudos
DanLee
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos