.apl file component creation within a .shp file

11-06-2012 09:27 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

I have a model that uses the "Feature Class to Feature Class" tool to convert a .sde file to a .shp file.  When it does this my shapefile isn't produced as it should be.  The only thing I can spot that seems suspect is that the .shp file is missing the .apl component file.  Does this cause problems?  Is it indicative of possible problem?  How can I get this .apl component created? 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: ldanzinger

I'm not sure why it isn't creating successfully, but isn't the .apl file an ArcPad layer file? The Shapefile Extensions help page doesn't mention it either. You should really only need the .shp, .dbf, and .shx (and .prj if you want it to show up in the right place). I know this doesn't help your larger issue, but I don't think the .apl thing is related to your issue.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: MCline19

Thanks for the help.  It's a long story, but I'm really thinking I need to have an .apl file.  Do you know how to make the model create one?

I appreciate your help!
0 Kudos
LucasDanzinger
Esri Frequent Contributor
The only way I know how to create one would be to check out your data using the ArcPad Data Manager. It's possible there is another way, but this is the only time I have come across an APL.
0 Kudos