"You are not licensed for Geodatabase Editor"

01-24-2013 11:02 AM
MarkParr1
New Contributor
I am running 10.1 SP1 on a Windows 7, 64-bit machine with 28GB of RAM and a 2TB drive. I recently started getting the error "You are not licensed for GEodatabase Editor." whenever I try to do any sort of geoprocessing. This perplexes me to no end as I'm trying to reproject a shapefile and I have never heard of the Geodatabase Editor. What the heck is it? It isn't an extension that I've ever heard of. I've been running 10.1 SP1 for a few months now and did not have this trouble previously. I have checked the .Net framework and I'm running the most recent version, 4.5.

Any thoughts? I'm about to submit a ticket.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
29 Replies
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
That is great information - if you get anything worthwhile, please share.
I'm not sure how to begin replicating that process, so anything you get from this could be a clue.
0 Kudos
SteveBassett
New Contributor
Previously I encountered this error in 10.1. Disabling background geoprocessing from the "Geporcessing Option Dialog" as jckbeers recommended allowed processing without the errors.

I recently installed 10.2 without including the 64 bit background processing module. All processing tasks were successful.

Today I installed the background geoprocessing module and received this error on the first processing run after installing the module.
After disabling background geoprocessing all processing tasks are successful.

Currently using an advanced license from a remote license server.
0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser
Occasional Contributor
Did anyone get any further response to this? We have the same issue here in house. Many of our Windows 7, 64-bit machines running ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 are encountering this issue. I will try uninstalling the service pack for Desktop Background geoprocessing (64-bit) from my computer to see if this helps. I want to have the ability to run geoprocessing in the background, so if this is my workaround...

My question is what will I lose by removing this? Anything?

Thanks,
        Alison
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
A few of us have tried to reproduce this issue internally and cannot.
Any information on how you reproduce it would be very helpful.
Especially details like:

• what tool(s) you're using

• where is the data coming from (sde, fgdb, shape, etc)

The details on versions/install procedures and licensing are good. I just haven't got the right combination to make it happen here.
0 Kudos
AlisonGaiser
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Kevin.

What I was trying to do was pretty simple. I was trying to do a Feature Class to Feature class from a simple feature class in an SDE database to a file geodatabase using standard Edition of ArcCatalog.

After uninstalling the service pack, I am now able to run the same tool as a background process. In fact I went into the Geoprocessing results tab and reran a step that had failed previously.

I am in Canada. Would it be worthwhile to submit a call to Tech Support up here in order to work with them?

Thanks,
     Alison
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
If anyone today can still reproduce this issue, I might have a solution.

However, I'm not 100% sure this solution is the silver bullet for everyone, as such I need to confirm a few cases before I post a solution for all to try.
If you are experiencing this problem, can you email me: khibma@esri.com with the following information:
-ArcGIS Desktop version:  10.1, 10.1sp1, 10.2, or 10.2.1
-Confirm 64bit Background is installed
-is ArcGIS Server installed?
-is ArcEngine Installed?
-Do you use a Single Use or Concurrent license?
0 Kudos
HollyBrackett
New Contributor II
I am a GIS instructor at a local community college.  I have been working with this ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced installation since August, 2013 (1-yr license) with no big issues.

When I tried to run the Define Projection utility, I received a 'license is in need of a repair operation.  Please access ArcGIS Administrator to repair your licenses.' message.  http://screencast.com/t/EWkU2llQsq  I select OK and receive the following additional message: 'You are not licensed for Geodatabase Editor.  Use ArcGIS Administrator to view the software availability, change the license manager, or switch the ArcGIS software product.'  http://screencast.com/t/c2BVnbvL

After reading on the forum, I checked the programs installed and ArcGIS 10.1 SP1 for Desktop Background Geoprocessing (64-bit) was installed on Feb. 7, 2014.  http://screencast.com/t/7RyC0x7Ja  This is odd because I did not install anything with ArcGIS.... However, I allowed an upgrade of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 around that time. (??)

I have the following setup:
-ArcGIS Desktop version: 10.1sp1
-Confirm 64bit Background is installed: Yes  
-is ArcGIS Server installed? No
-is ArcEngine Installed? No
-Do you use a Single Use or Concurrent license? Single

I am anxious as I have a bunch of students needing some test study guides, but I need a working install to produce them.  I am snowed in so home laptop is only option for now.

I guess I will uninstall the Desktop Background Geoprocessing and hope it works.  However, I am not sure what functionality I am losing when I remove this part of the install.
0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Kevin.

What I was trying to do was pretty simple. I was trying to do a Feature Class to Feature class from a simple feature class in an SDE database to a file geodatabase using standard Edition of ArcCatalog.

After uninstalling the service pack, I am now able to run the same tool as a background process. In fact I went into the Geoprocessing results tab and reran a step that had failed previously.

I am in Canada. Would it be worthwhile to submit a call to Tech Support up here in order to work with them?

Thanks,
     Alison

I was trying to import and export Feature Class to Feature Class similar to Allison quoted above.  I got the dreaded title message.

The Background Processor was the culprit for me.  You don't have to uninstall it, just go to Background Processing under the Geoprocessing>Options and then try the operation again.  A colleague had a similar problem and figured out how to fix it. 

For Kevin,
I am using Advanced  (ArcInfo) Concurrent Use Edition of ArcCatalog 10.2.  I have 64bit Background Georeferencing installed.  ArcGIS Server and Engine installed?  No, unless you mean the repackaged Microsoft SQL 2008r2 (ArcSDE) that is used to serve up the SDE Geodatabase on the server.  I also had to install the MS SQL Native Client for my computer (I had another error that said the one in ArcGIS was out of date, but that's another issue that was easily solved).  It would be nice if you posted your findings instead of referring us to your e-mail, forums are for sharing information...

I think the Import and Export Feature Class tools in ArcCatalog don't work with Background Processing, see this article for reference: http://edndoc.esri.com/arcobjects/9.2/ComponentHelp/esriGeoDatabaseDistributed/DataChangesExporter.h...

If you don't want to disable it completely, there is a work around: 

I was able to create a new feature class and load data into an SDE geodatabase in ArcCatalog from file (personal) geodatabase, similar to import.  You can even use a query to filter what is loaded. 

I was able to export feature class data in ArcMap by right clicking the Feature Class in the Table of Contents then choosing Data>Export Data.  It allowed me to save to a file geodatabase and an SDE geodatabase (or to a shapefile for that matter).
0 Kudos
JoseFrancis
New Contributor

Hi, I'm running ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 (Advanced, Single Use) on a VM (Windows 7 professional SP 1). This works fine without any issues.

I've installed ArcObjects SDK for .NET framework and while trying to connect to an SDE, I'm getting the error : "You are not licensed for Geodatabase editor". Same error occurs when I try to open an mxd. But I can do both these things with ArcMap.

I tried by disabling the background processing from the geoprocessing options in ArcMap. Still no luck.

Can anyone figure out the issue.

I have executed a sample python code to list the datasets and feature classes. This is working for GDB, but for SDE, it is returning null for both datasets and feature classes.
Whether both these issues are related ?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
LesleyBean
New Contributor

We recently upgraded from 10.3.1 to 10.4.1, running both Windows 7 and Windows 10.  I've never had this error before, but now several machines are displaying it.   One laptop running Windows 7 had been upgraded, but the user needed 10.3.1 installed for a class, so I removed all the software, installed 10.3.1 and the error is now occurring on this machine.  It does work to disable the background processor, but it's annoying and confusing not to have a real fix for it and to have it randomly appear.

0 Kudos