Address Standardization... Unit #'s not getting called out?

12-19-2017 09:11 AM
GregJohnson6
New Contributor II

Was hoping to see unit #'s get their own column in my output file, but that's not happening for *most* records.  Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the data set standardized in some way?  Does 'Unit' always come before the unit #?

GregJohnson6
New Contributor II

It really isn't Mitch.  It's pretty sloppy.  I've actually regressed since I've posted this, and now I can't seem to get a successful standardize run at all.  I keep getting 483 errors (wrong locator style). 

I've been playing with all the different locator styles, including city state zip, not include them...

I'm fine if the standardizer doesn't work for all records, I just can't have it crapping out because of 1 without telling me why.

Is there somewhere I can go to find out exactly which record I'm giving it that is causing it to crap out?  Is there a setting where I can just tell it to skip errors and move on to the next address?

THANK YOU!

0 Kudos
GregJohnson6
New Contributor II

I've added the 483 error message that's close to the worst error I've ever gotten.  Why wouldn't it say what went wrong?  Invalid character?  end of file not found?  Null address?  If I had hair, I'd be pulling it.

0 Kudos
GregJohnson6
New Contributor II

So, I've reduced my dataset to a single record, and I'm still getting the 483 issue.  I'm beginning to think there's an issue with ArcGIS.

"1456 W Newpark Blvd 302"

"Address standardization failed."

Really?  That's a softball address.  WTF is going on here?

0 Kudos
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I can't help there, Greg.  I'm not familiar with the "Address Standardization" process. 

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi

Try the "US Address - Single House Subaddress" 10.5.1/Pro 2.0 style, sample run attached.

Message from my run:

Executing: StandardizeAddresses Addresses Address "US Address - Single House Subaddress" HouseNum;PreDir;PreType;StreetName;SufType;SufDir;SubAddrType;SubAddrUnit C:\Temp\Utah.gdb\Addresses_StandardizeAddress Static
Start Time: Tue Dec 19 14:27:30 2017
Executing Standardize Addresses...
Succeeded at Tue Dec 19 14:27:33 2017 (Elapsed Time: 2.57 seconds)

Standardization can be a little flakey finding components.

Regards

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Hmmmm.. Utah.gdb?  Oh those pioneers and thier addresses.....   ( )

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
GregJohnson6
New Contributor II

Hey gang.  Thanks for the ideas.  Here's what was happening...

I was exporting my table to a CSV file.  I had to do this iteratively as the first draft of the CSV wasn't quite right.  I deleted the CSV file, but NOT the schema.ini file.  The pre-existence of the schema.ini file in the same directory was causing the 483 error.

That was it.  Delete the schema.ini as well as the output file, and everything works just fine.  (Or choose a new destination folder every time you export.)

THANKS!