10.1 Geoprocessing background progress - cannot see bar at all

10-17-2012 04:16 PM
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
Nothing is showing up at all where I'd expect to see progress indicated in ArcMap. The process runs and I get a little pop up notice when it is complete, as before. I cannot see anything where I was expecting to see a "scrolling progress" before. The help system makes it looks like I should see something (the screen shot shows a progress bar, not the marquee style from before). Background processing is enabled. Do I need to do something else to make this visible? The process is running (I looked in Task Manager) but there is no indication in the ArcMap UI.

Update: Correc this to be "sometimes" cannot see bar at all. Sometimes the scrolling marquee is there, sometimes not.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
AstridLichtenberger1
New Contributor III
Hi,
now I have my Testmaschine and tried to install arcGIS 10.1 with background processing there.
I have downloaded a client liebary from oracle and tried to install (win64_11gR2_client)

Our System is Windows 7 64bit, Oracle SDE 9.3.1 and on Maschine 32bit client for oracle installed (standard)

Now I have installed the client libaries for the 64bit client as you told me. Afterwards I cannot connect to the oracle SDE because of an Error.
"Failed to connect to database.
Underlying DBMS error [ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified
No extended error"

Do you know whats going wrong in this case or can you help me. Which client from oracle do I have to install for the 64bit support.

Thanks Astrid
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
I'm not an expert with oracle, so this is just a guess.
As you know, you need to setup both the 32 and 64bit client libraries on the Desktop machine. 64-bit Background uses the 64-bit libraries and 32-bit Desktop uses the 32-bit libraries. I've copied the 64-bit Oracle instant client files into a 64bit location (Program Files) and the 32-bit Oracle client files into a 32bit location (Program Files(x86)).

Inside my system path environment variable I have the reference to the instant client like this:

C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\instantclient;C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\instantclient_11_2

Its very important the 64-bit comes before the 32-bit. When the 32-bit app tries to use the instantclient, it will find the 64-bit first, then fail over to the 32-bit. (or at least thats how I understand it works).
Hopefully this helps.

UPDATE: To use both 32/64bit Oracle client, see the following help topic: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//002n00000038000000
Pay special attention to step 1d)
0 Kudos
AstridLichtenberger1
New Contributor III
Hi Kevin,
I have downloaded both the 64bit and 32bit files from oracle, these two files have a setup and installed in an app directory.
Which Files did you copy in your instantclient directories. Are these the files in BIN dierectory or do I need more then these.

Thanks Astrid
0 Kudos
KevinHibma
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Kevin,
I have downloaded both the 64bit and 32bit files from oracle, these two files have a setup and installed in an app directory.
Which Files did you copy in your instantclient directories. Are these the files in BIN dierectory or do I need more then these.

Thanks Astrid

Astrid,

Heres a screen shot of my 32bit instantclient directory for comparison purposes:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]19353[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
AstridLichtenberger1
New Contributor III
Thanks a lot, now ist running.
0 Kudos