Using Pro to extract GDB Schema

Jump to solution
10-13-2020 10:57 AM
ZacharyHart
Occasional Contributor III

We are finding there are still several GDB administration tools/processes that are unavailable with Pro. Since we cannot create GDBs in (Desktop) Database Servers (SQL Express) with Pro, we were looking for a workaround and it occurred to us that there doesn't seem to be any equivalent of the Extract Data Wizard in Pro.

Is there any other way to extract just the schema (via XML) from a GDB in Pro?

Alternatively, I don't see any option to use 'Schema Only' for a checkout GDB in the Create Replica GP Tool in Pro. Not that it would do any good, because we still can't find any equivalent to importing a workspace like you have in ArcMap.

Are we just overlooking something obvious here or are these findings correct?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Zachary - I believe you can use the Export XML Workspace Document GP tool and set the export_type parameter to Schema Only.  Then you have an *.xml of the entire GDB schema but no data. 

In ArcGIS Pro and checkout/check-in replication, there is a parameter under the Expand Feature Classes and Tables where you can "add with schema only" - I wonder if that would work?

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Zachary - I believe you can use the Export XML Workspace Document GP tool and set the export_type parameter to Schema Only.  Then you have an *.xml of the entire GDB schema but no data. 

In ArcGIS Pro and checkout/check-in replication, there is a parameter under the Expand Feature Classes and Tables where you can "add with schema only" - I wonder if that would work?

HilaryCampbell
New Contributor III

So, is XML the only method for extracting schemas in Pro?  I have no experience with XML.  The Extract Data tool in the Distributed Geodatabase toolbar in ArcMap was seamless and simple:  you could select the Schema only option and the result was a fully set-up GDB shell with no data in it, without exporting or importing anything.  This is ideal for documentation, testing, etc. 

If there is no plan to replace the Extract Data tool in Pro, please advise ASAP.   This affects a number of my current projects.  Thanks.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hilary - XML workspace documents are not the only way to extract data in AGP.  You can also use the Package Result Geoprocessing tool with the "Schema only" parameter checked and the "Convert data to file geodatabase parameter checked"  The result layer package (*.lpkx) will have all the data you selected in the in_result parameter in the layer package.  Then you can add it to an existing project.

Of course, if you want to continue to use the Extract Data Wizard in the Distributed Database toolbar in ArcMap and use the file in AGP that is fine too.  I haven't seen the Extract Data Wizard workflow in AGP yet but I suspect its an equivalency item the GDB Team is aware of.  There is an ArcGIS Idea that references the "extract data" wizard that you may want to upvote - the URL is https://community.esri.com/ideas/10042?commentID=82770#comment-82770 

ZacharyHart

Are you then able to import the XML somehow to create a pre-configured GDB?

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes.  First, create a new file geodatabase.  Then use the Import XML workspace document GP tool to bring in the "schema only" feature classes/tables/etc. into the new gdb.  The result is a file geodatabase with the schema only feature classes/behaviors/tables.

ZacharyHart

Thanks, that gets me part way there.

There's still no way to create eGDBs in a Desktop Database Server instance in Pro....I've been trying to find a work around for that.

I'll still give a +1 for Hilary Campbell‌ 's suggestion. There were/are a lot of great tools in ArcMap that haven't made the leap (and maybe wont) to Pro.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Understand Zachary - re:  the Desktop Database Server instance in Pro - I did find a thread you were a part of earlier about this topic.  As I work on the Training Services Team at Esri, I have zero control on the AGP development process...fingers crossed with each new release of AGP, more equivalency items are addressed.

ZacharyHart

Thanks for being so helpful Robert!!

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

You're quite welcome - happy to assist!  Stay safe and healthy!

0 Kudos