"Best Practices Converting Workflows from SDE Command Line UI" UC Presentation?

09-02-2016 04:34 PM
RandyKreuziger
Occasional Contributor III

There was suppose to be a technical workshop at this year's UC titled, "Best Practices Converting Workflows from SDE Command Line UI."  It disappeared off my ESRI UC agenda app just days before the user conference which really sucked timing wise. This was first ESRI tech workshop I scheduled when the UC schedule was first announced.  I can't think of a more important topic for us enterprise geodatabase administrators!  Is there any chance that the materials for that canceled workshop could be posted somewhere on the ESRI site?  I can't find the presenter's name but maybe someone reading this can provide that.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Randy,

I believe that presentation was from the UC in 2015. You can search for it here: Recent Proceedings 

I was one of the presenters on this presentation in 2015. I would say that there have been some updates on some of the tools. Here is a direct link to the PDF: http://proceedings.esri.com/library/userconf/proc15/tech-workshops/tw_966-259.pdf  

Here is the latest documentation on Migrate from ArcSDE administration commands—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Hope this is the information that you are looking for.

-George

--- George T.
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi George,

I've noticed that sdeconfig seems to have been left out of the nw GP commands. Is that because there's no need for this any more? Apart from the obvious connections parameter, we used to increase various buffer sizes from their default values and sometimes increased MAXGRIDSPERFEATURE when we had really crazy data in customer databases. So uis this dropped altogether?

Thanks, Martin

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Martin,

You should be able to use the following GP tools to complete these task:

Export Geodatabase Configuration Keywords—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Import Geodatabase Configuration Keywords—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

--- George T.
MartinAmeskamp
Occasional Contributor II

Hi George,

as far as I can see, the Export/Import Geodatabase Configuration Keywords GP tools are a replacement for sdedbtune rather than for sdeconfig, no?

So is sdeconfig considered obsolete?

Thanks again, Martin

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Hi Martin,

You are correct, sorry about that. That GP tool is for the DBTUNE table and not SDECONFIG.

You can use the ArcSDE 10.2.2 command line tools against a newer geodatabase per the following technical article: FAQ: Can ArcSDE command line tools be used against 10.3 and newer geodatabases? to update the SDECONFIG table.

I would reach out to https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support?sr=search&searchId=c674eb5c-e6b3-4068-99b5-e2456...‌  for more information on updating the SDECONFIG table with newer releases or new GP tools.

Hope this helps!

-George

--- George T.
MarkChilcott

Hi George,

Has this been done in 10.6?  Still not there?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
George_Thompson

Mark Chilcott‌ If you are referring to the SDECONFIG  I am not sure. I would reach out to Esri Technical Support for an update. They may be able to provide more information.

I have since moved to a different role within Esri.

--- George T.
0 Kudos
MarkChilcott

Looks like sdeconfig is deprecated:

The SERVER_CONFIG (sde_server_config in SQL Server and PostgreSQL) table contains initialization parameters and values that largely legacy and/or pertain to ArcSDE application servers, which are no longer supported beginning with ArcGIS 10.3 geodatabases. Of the few parameters that do affect direct connections, most should not need to be altered from their default settings.

The SERVER_CONFIG system table

Mark