I am using ArcMap 10.4.1. If I go to File -> Add Data ->Add Query layer I can fill out everything, validate it, and hit ok - then it starts to run and ArcMap Crashes. I can use the "Make Query (Data Management)" Tool and successfully create a Query Layer, but it does Not show up in "Layers" in the TOC . See Screenshot.
The data is there, and I can use the identify tool to get information about the polygons. If i switch to List by Source, Visibility, or Selection in the TOC, sometimes the Query Layer will appear there and sometimes it won't. If I open an existing mxd with a query layer already in it, I can modify the Query and everything functions correctly. Any thoughts as to what is going on?
Have you checked the files for possible errors? could be geometry errors (use Check Geometry tool)
You could also try exporting it to a new featureclass (Copy Features) and see if the copy behaves badly as well
I have tested it out on two other computers and the query layer worked just fine which leads me to believe it's something to do with my computer. When trying to create query layers on my machine, nothing works no matter what data I am using.
It could be something with your installation or your profile, but I suspect the first. From your windows access point to Install/Remove programs, go there, then when asked, try a 'Repair' to see if repairing the installation works.
I assume that you have the same permissions as all others and you have cleaned up all the trash that accumulates at the operating system level
Update: I have uninstalled and reinstalled ArcMap, and installed a 10.4.1 SQL patch and Desktop patch I found. I also deleted my normal.mxt and now ArcMap Crashes when I try to create a query layer using either method. I can still, however, open mxd's with query layers in them already, and they seem to function fine. These query layers work on other machines.... running out of ideas..