Posting this question for discussion and resolution to calculate the mid point of a Line/Polyline in SDE.ST_Geometry on Oracle Spatial Database. This question is also posted in ArcGIS Ideas.Mid Point function in SDE.ST_GEOMETRY
After exploring the Oracle Spatial functionalities and searching for similar problems in other blogs. I could able to create the custom function which calculates the mid-point of a polyline in SDE.ST_Geometry.
The methodology is as below:
- Convert the SDE.ST_Geometry object into Oracle SDO_GEOMETRY
- Use SDO_LRS capabilities of Oracle Spatial to find the mid point coordinate of a line geometry.
- Convert the returns Ordinates into SDE.ST_Geometry or WKT format
Is there are any other better way or options available within SDE?
* As this work around works only in Oracle
* The similar work around/custom function can be developed if the Enterprise Geodatabase is PostgreSQL/PostGIS ST_Line_Interpolate_Point
Does this all have to be done within a database? Have you seen https://community.esri.com/thread/116159 ? (I know the titled has shapefile, but it broadly applies to geometry in ArcGIS clients)
Hi Joshua, thanks for responding to my question. I want to do this within the database rather in client. As this Oracle function needs to be used by other stored procedures in processing the data in the Oracle database.
I am glad you have something that works, or mostly works. Good luck finding something better for server-side processing.