How to replace the feature class used in feature-linked annotation with a different feature class?

07-03-2017 08:35 AM
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

I have a parcel layer involved in feature-linked annotation for lot numbers. My parcel layer has been updated and I have a new layer that I need to add to my map. I want to remove the old layer and add the new one and have the annotation feature class linked to the new parcels. That way the existing lot numbers would remain where they are and new annotation would be created for any new lots. How can I replace the old parcel layer with the new one without breaking the feature-link? Is there a way to change the feature class involved in the relationship class in Catalog?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MeganJohnson
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply. The workflow of deleting the features and appending the new ones to the existing feature class essentially deletes all of the annotation and recreates it. By doing this I lose all of the manual placement that I did to the annotation originally, so this would have to be repeated.

I found something in the Annotation feature class properties in Catalog but it is grayed out and I'm wondering how or if it can ever be changed. It says " Link the annotation to the following feature class" with a dropdown menu. It would be great if I could change that to point to the new parcel layer

0 Kudos