Select to view content in your preferred language

Establishing a Geodatabase connection to Snowflake computing

04-16-2019 04:15 PM
EricAnderson14
New Contributor III

We have a data repository that resides in a Snowflake computing environment. We are wondering if it is possible to establish a ArcGIS Geodatabase connection to the cloud based Snowflake computing environment? 

Please let us know if anyone has any experience with anything like this. 

Thank you. 

Eric Anderson

17 Replies
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

All, FYI creating a feature service from a Snowflake connection is under consideration.

MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III

Thanks for the great news @BruceHarold! What is a rough time to market from when a feature is under consideration to when it is available in Beta?

0 Kudos
BruceHarold
Esri Regular Contributor

@NanaDeiCan you help Michael here?

NanaDei
Esri Contributor

@MichaelMirobelli, there are several factors that are considered in the implementation of a feature. We’re currently working on providing native support for Snowflake (Cloud data warehouses) within ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Enterprise, and the roadmap has been updated to near-term. Please join us in the ArcGIS Enterprise: The Road Ahead UC session to learn more about the current work to support cloud data warehouses.

MichaelMirobelli
New Contributor III

@NanaDei Thanks for the heads up! I was actually going to end up missing that session for a work meeting, but I'll rearrange my schedule to accommodate it.

0 Kudos
BenHiggs
New Contributor

Hi Eric,

It is possible to establish a connection between ArcGIS and Snowflake. You would just need to install and set up the Snowflake ODBC driver, then pull the data into your map as a query layer (Map > Add Data > Query Layer).

Here is a step-by-step video on how to do that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnSaS95Rlqs

Follow this tutorial to connect Snowflake to ArcGIS Pro in a way that will let you plot Snowflake data as a map layer. That map layer will update live with any changes made to the source data in Snowflake. To learn more about different geography types in Snowflake, read the information here ...
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

When Pro or Insights retrieves information from Snowflake - it casts Geography coordinates to Geometry and interprets the feature as point, line or polygon.
But I am not clear whether a Coordinate transformation occurs on the fly. Does snowflake actually record coordinate system (Datum in particular) or does it always presume Lat/Long in WGS84?

Dan_Joyce_OE
New Contributor III

I dipping my toes into Snowflake for the first time and had the same question regarding coord system for the Geography objects...from the doco it looks like WGS84 geographic is the default.

Dan_Joyce_OE_0-1677035458676.png

The Geometry object looks like it can accept projected coordinate systems.

Dan_Joyce_OE_1-1677035615654.png

0 Kudos