Select to view content in your preferred language

Connect to a file geodatabse in MS Access?

10-16-2023 11:20 AM
Labels (3)
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Bit of a reverse of a common question.

Is it possible to connect a file GDB to MS Access, either to feed data or to use it as an interface?

It seems like Access doesn't recognize file GDBs by itself, but I was thinking maybe using ODBC?

Develop an ODBC driver for the esri File Geodataba... - Esri Community

There was also this question, where someone says it'd be possible to make one using the API, but not sure if anyone ever did that FGDB ODBC driver? - Esri Community

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello @AlfredBaldenweck 

You will find the answer to your questions and a lot more details in this ArcGIS Blog article. 

It's Not Personal: A quick history of the geodatabase and why personal geodatabases are not in ArcGI...

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
AlfredBaldenweck
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you for the response, however, that is the answer to the opposite question of what I asked, which is about using file GDBs in Access, not about using Access files in Pro.

0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

There is no ODBC driver for file geodatabases therefore is not possible to integrate file geodatabases with Access out of the box and you will need to create some custom tool to be able to do this.

| Marcelo Marques | Esri Principal Product Engineer | Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional | "In 1992, I embarked on my journey with Esri Technology, and since 1997, I have been working with ArcSDE Geodatabases, right from its initial release. Over the past 32 years, my passion for GIS has only grown stronger." | “ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov |
0 Kudos
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

You can explore alternatives like Safe Software FME Workbench and ArcGIS Pro Data Interoperability Extension to read file geodatabase data and synchronize data with an Access Database.

FME Transformer Reference Guide (safe.com)
List of Readers and Writers (safe.com)
ArcGIS Data Interoperability extension for Desktop—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

0 Kudos