Can't See All Oracle Tables in ArcCatolog

Jump to solution
10-30-2015 07:15 AM
MarkMcCart
Occasional Contributor

I am running ArcCatalog 10.3.1 and have a direct connection to an Oracle database. Some of the tables are registered with SDE and some are not. In other Oracle instances I am able to see all the tables whether they're registered or not. I can see all the tables in Toad, but not Catalog. I've confirmed that they have a public role assigned to them. We have other Oracle instances and can see all their tables in Catalog. Just not this instance.

Any suggestions?

-Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarkMcCart
Occasional Contributor

I discovered the database was still on 9.3. It was never upgraded.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AsrujitSengupta
Regular Contributor III

Are you facing this issue with only a particular user? or any user for that Oracle instance?

If a user is granted DBA, do you still face the issue?

0 Kudos
MarkMcCart
Occasional Contributor

I discovered the database was still on 9.3. It was never upgraded.

0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

I run into the same issue with ArcSDE 10.3.1 recently. We have been in 10.3.1 for 3 years now. I have created a lot of non-spatial in SQL Developer and never register them with SDE. This week, I found this week ArcCatalog (10.3.1 and 10.5.1) shows only some of them, most of them do not appear.  I create a new one in different schemas, it does not show up in any of them. I tried to add objectid column in SQL Developer, the table still not show in Catalog. But when I add shape "SHAPE SDE.ST_GEOMETRY"  column, it will show up in Catalog. I tried using the Catalog tool "Create unregistered table" to create an empty table. The table is shown with "OBJECTID" in SQL Developer, but not show up in the Catalog. If I use the "Create table" tool, the table shows up in Catalog. Look like using "Create table" tool to create the table and using "Add Field" is the only way to make the table appear in Catalog. But why it does show some of the tables created in the same way in the past, but not all of them?

0 Kudos
AllenGuan2
New Contributor III

OMG, I found the tables/views that I created in the last few years in SQL Developer that do not show up in Catalog all start with "SDE_". If I create a table/view not in starting with "SDE_", it will show up in Catalog. I think ESRI did this to hide all the SDE system tables in Catalog, but mistakenly doing this hide globally across the data schemas, unless the "SDE_" objects are created inside Catalog and registered with SDE.