Can I increase the number of simultaneous connection to the same SQL Express instance with multiple Desktop licenses?

Jump to solution
12-19-2018 03:32 AM
AlessandroValra
Occasional Contributor III

Can I do that?

Like, if I have a SQL Express instance and I have three licenses of ArcGIS Desktop Standard, can I have 3X3 connected Desktop users ("license limit" times "number of licenses")?

I am not talking about the ArcGIS GIS Server Basic license which gives ten simultaneous Desktop connections and of which I am aware of.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I do not think so. The # of connections is limited on the GDB side by the type of GDB being used. In your case with SQL Express, the non-Workgroup version is limited to 3 concurrent connections.

Beginning at ArcGIS 9.2, ArcGIS Desktop Standard and Desktop Advanced includes an installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express. These software products also include ArcSDE capabilities to support enterprise geodatabases in SQL Server Express for up to three simultaneous desktop users.

Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I do not think so. The # of connections is limited on the GDB side by the type of GDB being used. In your case with SQL Express, the non-Workgroup version is limited to 3 concurrent connections.

Beginning at ArcGIS 9.2, ArcGIS Desktop Standard and Desktop Advanced includes an installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express. These software products also include ArcSDE capabilities to support enterprise geodatabases in SQL Server Express for up to three simultaneous desktop users.

Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

--- George T.