ArcMap fails to delete a “feature class” in file gdb (Access Denied GDB_System Catalog),

Jump to solution
12-14-2017 11:30 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcMap fails to delete a “feature class” in file gdb (Access Denied GDB_System Catalog),

I couldn’t figure out why the ArcMap fails to delete a “feature class” (Access denied GDB_System Catalog) knowing that this feature class is not published in ArcGIS Server.

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
17 Replies
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

If the lock file belong to non exists process it should be possible to just delete it in windows.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you all.

I tried the Mody’s suggestion and it worked fine

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

open the admin < manager < Locks dialog box in catalog and remove any locks on the FC then try to delete it. Its being used somewhere, it should also tell you what user/machine owns the file lock.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thank you guys for the input.

I couldn’t figure out how to go to admin < manager < Locks dialog box in catalog. Where is that?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Lake_Worth_BeachAdmin
Occasional Contributor III

right click the feature in Arc Catalog

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

The OP is dealing with file geodatabases, not enterprise geodatabases.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

From your screenshots, it appears you are using file geodatabases, so the functionality described earlier about locks isn't available.

Rudy_Stricklan
New Contributor III

OK, I know it's been knocked by others as potentially virus-laden (it's not) and a notorious data corrupter (I've never found it to be so), the free utility Unlocker works wonders on locked file geodatabases and many other Windows system files. This site tested Unlocker and found it to be malware- and virus-free, but as always, run it through your own local virus checker and back up your data files first.