address locators not visible in database

10-22-2014 10:46 AM
deleted-user-AzQ5lcTQbS2a
New Contributor III

I am unable to see our address locators as objects our Enterprise geodatabase.

They were there in recent memory (two days ago was the last known solid memory).  Then we had a problem with the GeocodeServer service which led me to investigate the source locator service - gone.  Not visible.  A screen capture is attached.

Easy enough to recreate the Address Locator, but was told by ArcCatalog is already existed.  Indeed, you can also see the .LOX tables in the database, just not the locator object. 

I could not complete a rebuild of the service. 

I manually typed in the path to the address locator in the AGS geocode service and it does work.

I have a python script to rebuild the locator, and it presumably executes (without error).

If trying to browse for or using the locator service from the database connection using any ArcX GUI, the address locator cannot be found. 

This is happening on all instances of ArcCatalog tested, also versions 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2 exhibit the same behavior.

Source database is v 10.0 SQL 2005.

I am sysadmin. Read only and service accounts have this same behavior.

Where did it go / where is it hiding?  Anyone else have this experience or any ideas?

thanks!

sp

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Let me get this straight: you are storing your locators within an enterprise database?  If so, that's probably the root of your issue. The best place to store your actual locators is in a stand alone directory somewhere.

I also notice you have a ton of feature data sets in there as well.  I avoid feature datasets in SDE like the plague; they like to misbehave with permission issues and locks.  If you have been storing your locators in a feature dataset in an SDE database, you've got the double whammy working against you....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Thanks for the feedback, Joe.  Interestingly, this has all been there working wonderfully for 6+ years, most definitely predating my tenure. 

We have a toolbox in there too... we use this GDB as a true enterprise sharing hub and haven't encountered any major problems.

In fact, the locators and their relative tables are still there and operational; the ArcGIS client will not display them. I am truly befuzzled. 

ps- didn't I chat with you a few months ago about Versaterm?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Well.....  If it worked and now it doesn't, obviously something has changed and is now broken. ( I know; thanks captain obvious...) Did you guys apply any service packs? Update versions?

What about using ArcGIS server to provide your locators?  I just think there are better options for locators, especially publishing them.  I use my SDE environment for editing and that's pretty much it.  For daily production use it's file gdb's and shared network drives

What was our topic in Versaterm?  At my age my age, I have more memory leaks than Windows95.....

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Yes, updates or changes would be the obvious culprit. However, this is an old <nearly win95> server with ArcGIS 10.0 that is being retired and not updated for some time.  I did do a compress on the database last week, which is not unusual.

The only updates we've been making relative to it's existence is copying things off of it.  The other obvious one there would be that there was a move vs. a copy which actually is a very plausible explanation, except for the fact that if I try to recreate the service, it tells me it's already there.

We do have a published geocoding service (based off of this invisible locator) which we point most of our applications to.

I had to look it up, but we chatted about the VGI tool back in May.

Thanks for the chat!

0 Kudos