Select to view content in your preferred language

Has anyone converted an .MXD file to an .STD file?

09-15-2020 04:46 AM
DanielMoye
New Contributor II

I had one of the engineers I work with ask me if we could convert our data into an .std file for them to use in a different program. I have never heard of this file extension. Can anyone give me a little more detail about how I might convert the data? So far, I have not found any useful resources through just a Google search.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

If it's an engineer asking they're probably trying to get the data referenced in your electrical distribution maps into a file that can be imported into Milsoft's WindMil application.  This requires mapping the elements and values in your GIS to the elements and values in the WindMil model and then creating an extractor to doing the translation.  There are several Esri business partners that do this type of work regularly (full disclosure, I work for one of these companies, POWER Engineers).  If you're planning on moving to the Utility Network soon and you don't already have such an extractor in place you may be better off planning on building that interface off of the Utility Network since it already has most of the data elements and QA rules in place to support WindMil.  You'll still need to build (or buy) an extractor, but having implemented both kinds I can say I prefer the ones run off the Utility Network.