Select to view content in your preferred language

Esri MOOCs: Fun Topics, Free Software, and Focused Learning

08-01-2023 09:19 AM
KatieSmith
Esri Regular Contributor
10 2 1,455

Hello, YPN community! Want an easy way to set yourself up for continued success this year? Register now for Esri’s upcoming massive open online courses (MOOCs) on popular GIS topics. 

Esri MOOCs are always completely free, and each course includes the following: 

• Access to ArcGIS software 
  • Hands-on exercises, videos by Esri experts, quizzes, and discussion 
  • Certificate of completion 

With two to three hours of content each week a MOOC is in session, it takes commitment and a growth mindset to complete the course. Crossing the finish line and sharing your certificate is a great way to stand out from the crowd. Adding MOOC certificates to your LinkedIn profile, GIS portfolio, or résumé is a fantastic way to show employers that you are a lifelong learner who is dedicated to keeping up with the latest (and often complex) technological advancements.  

Below are examples of MOOC completers sharing their prized certificate of completion via LinkedIn posts.  

KatieSmith_8-1690906129276.png

KatieSmith_9-1690906144933.png

I’ve also seen individuals put their MOOC certificates under their “Experience” section on their LinkedIn profile: 

KatieSmith_3-1690905671780.png

Another bonus of Esri MOOCs is that they are self-paced, meaning you can access the course at any time day or night (during the duration of the course, that is). The three MOOCs below all run for six weeks, and a new section opens each week.  

Wherever you are on the GIS learning map (pun intended), I hope you'll join one—or all—of Esri’s upcoming MOOCs. 🗺📍

KatieSmith_4-1690905684872.jpeg

Spatial Data Science: The New Frontier in Analytics 

August 30-October 11 (Registration closes September 13 at 11:59 p.m. PT) 

The course is for anyone interested in learning how spatial data and analysis techniques uncover hidden patterns in data. You'll learn from Esri experts and sample advanced analytical workflows, including suitability analysis, predictive modeling, space-time pattern mining, and object detection using deep learning.  

Save Your Spot → 

“What I liked most about this MOOC was the knowledge that was offered to me and the informal and relaxed way in which it was done.”  

— Júlio Ricardo Marques da Silva Fernandes  (Attendee, Spatial Data Science: The New Frontier in Analytics)

KatieSmith_5-1690905684873.jpeg

Imagery in Action 

September 20-November 1 (Registration closes October 4 at 11:59 p.m. PT) 

Discover just how much easier it now is to access imagery, gain actionable insight, and create and share imagery-based information products using ArcGIS. Visualize data from a variety of sources, apply dynamic processing techniques, and perform imagery analysis from start to finish.  

Register → 

“This was my first time taking a MOOC.  It was recommended to me, and I will most definitely be taking one again. The setup was so easy to follow, and the interaction was perfect. I thought the lessons and videos were great.”  

— Aaron Rath (Attendee, Imagery in Action)

KatieSmith_7-1690905684876.jpeg

GIS for Climate Action (New!)  

October 25–December 6 (Registration closes November 8 at 11:59 p.m. PT) 

In our brand-new MOOC, hear from Esri’s Chief Scientist Dr. Dawn Wright and other leading voices in climate science to learn how GIS technology is uniquely suited to address climate change. Discover how to apply the geographic approach to understand climate-related threats and take real action. 

Did you register for a MOOC? Comment below and share where you’ll be attending from.  

Looking forward to seeing you online! 

2 Comments
About the Author
Katie Smith was born in the beautiful state of Minnesota and now resides in sunny Southern California. She is on the Esri Training Team and desires to help people learn about the fascinating world of GIS.